Shorthair Pup

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Gertie's Pa, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

Bird hunting and fly fishing just seem to go hand in hand. I love doing both, collecting feathers on my own. About a year ago I said good by to a faithful shorthair I'd had for several years. He was 4 years old when I got him and had some prior training. My wife and daughter got a pup for me for Fathers Day from Taylor Mountain Kennels (I highly recommend them) and I absolutely love this dog. She is such a puppy, into everything and I'm enjoying it so much. I'm just beginning some basic command training with her, come, sit, stay. She's also pointing a wing. I do anticipate problems in training and would like some recommendations for training materials such as books or websites. I'll also be posting threads on this board to get input from you folks as well.

2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Congrats on your new pointer.
    I have had a couple, but both were adults when I got them.
    A good friend got a German short hair as a pup and what a wild time for the first two years.
    He turned out to be a super dog.
    I broke in one of my goldens with this pointer and as they grew and hunted together, well all I can say is the roosters were in trouble.

3. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    GSHs are known to be a little highstrung at young ages, we have two of them (one 12 and one 3) and both of them are amazing upland bird dogs. the book called "gun dog" is a great book, but its an older book. You may have to look on amazon to get one but it has everything one needs to know, from basics to full on hunting. Though if you just stick with the wing pointing and take her out a bit so she gets whistle commands you should be good to go unless you are super picky on commands.

Jake

4. TrappedinCO

TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Media:
    Congrats on the pup. The first year is all about the dog. Teach her to come, play fetch with her, get her used to the gun (take it slow), and get her around birds. A lot of people get caught up in following this person's method or that person's method, and the details of how you want to finish off your dog can come later. But for now, let the birds do the teaching. Once they learn they can't catch them on their own and you walk in on a point and drop a bird or two, you've established yourself as an integral part of their game.

Also, be careful about overdoing the wing on a string. It's a great party trick and good for a couple photos of your pup on point, but that's the biggest thing I disagree with Richard Wolters about. I'm sure others have used it extensively and been just fine, I just prefer to get the dog used to associating birds through their nose and not their eyes.

And post pictures for crying out loud...

5. Randy Sheaff

Randy Sheaff New Member

I've raised GSPs for 25 years and there's only one thing I've learned for sure. The only thing you have to do is to teach them to hunt for you, not themselves. Everything else is built in (or not). I teach my pups to work for me and let them be kids for 2 years. I'm lucky my pups always have a role model- an older GSP who can teach them a lot more than I can. Patience is always the best bet. I had a female pup (now 15 and still hunting) who wouldn't retrieve a bird- she would just go and sit by it. She'd retrieve everything else with great enthusiasm, just not birds. Then one day she decided to start retrieving!

I keep my verbal commands to a minimum and teach them basic hand signals. As for the whistle. I have just 2. One blast "Stop Whatever You're Doing and Get Back Here-NOW!
    Two blasts- "You're in Deep Trouble! I can count on my hands the times over the years I've had to blow my whistle twice. We all screw up in our lives. Don't punish the mistakes, reward the successes.

Remember: Patience, Patience, and Patience. And when all else fails More Patience.

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    First of all, congratulations on your new puppy.

Second, visit Upland Journal website.

Last, you better post a picture of that little girl, and fast!

7. 2506

2506 Active Member

You should get "The Training and Care of the Versitile Hunting Dog" by Sigbot Winterhelt. You may also want to check out the NAVHDA website, lots of good stuff there. Good luck and happy shooting!

8. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

Thanks for the great replies! I read Wolters' Gun Dog many years ago and will be using some of his techniques. Wolters seemed to be a bit heavy handed at times and I'll avoid that as much as possible.
    Roper, I've taken some nice photos and I'll get them uploaded as soon as I can find that damned port wire!

9. frankgo

frankgo New Member

Congrats on the new pup. I have had three shorthairs over the last 20 years. The best is now 6 years old and the crazy one. She is the best I ever hunted with but, was and is,:thumb: the most high strung of the three. The other two were very laid back. Go figure. She is however a different dog in the field, all business. The biggest problem is always getting them to hunt for you and not for themselves. Hunt is what they are bred for and you just have to convince them it is more fun if you get to help.. Love my GSP's and can't wait to introduce her to Washington state. Can't wait for a new pup either I usually have 2 at a time. Fall is just around the corner and feathers are in the air. Frank Goss:thumb:

10. Fly Flinger Jr

Fly Flinger Jr New Member

one thing about pointers none stop go go go, and bird bird bird. the biggest thing is try not to spoil them. ( it's to hard not to)

11. frankgo

frankgo New Member

A guide friend of mine once said about my last shorthair male. "This dog is too damn pretty I'd spoil the shit out of him. This his third season or so?" my answer was " nope its his third hunt and its too late, he's already spoiled" a great dog. Yours is a good looking dog FFJ. Damn I love those GSPs. Frank

12. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Congrats! I'm a Lab guy, but a friend has GSPs & they are great dogs (when his last, Billy, was a pup, we let him out to run as we 4-wheeled in to the gopher hills back home. Bill was running in circles, flat out as we progressed. My Son, then 8, suddenly exclaimed: "Jeez Dad, he doesn't even slow down to poop!"). Ya gotta love Kids & "Furry Children." This is Mags . . . wonder if there are geese in the air?

[​IMG]