NFR Shotcrete contractors - Tacoma

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eyejuggler, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Hey all, sorry for the seriously NFR post but we are having some old concrete in the basement blues and were told a shotcrete contractor might be the ticket.
    I came up nearly blank in my google search and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Might be a long shot.
    TIA!

Dave

Attached Files:

2. Builder

Builder Member

Interesting Juggler. You might try a swimming pool builder for shotcrete or you might look into sprayed in place foam.
    Chris,
    Missoula

Eyejuggler likes this.
  3. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

Hmmm, I've never worked on foundations, but I have been around masonry restoration for a while. In this case, I'm curious as to why the foundation would be giving way. It could be a bad patch of concrete, a major structural defect, or some major soil movement.

My first thought would be to get an inspection of your foundation/structural integrity before going further. Problems with a foundation can lead to much bigger issues down the road. An inspection can reveal if you're just going to need a band-aid, or some serious repairs.

If you already know that you don't need any major improvements/repairs, and it is just a simple patch, you can hire a masonry restoration contractor to fix the problem.

fredaevans and Eyejuggler like this.
  4. nailbender

nailbender Active Member

From your picture it doesn't look like structural concrete. Like JD said a masonry or plastering contractor could probably fix this. You might call some smaller (residential) concrete contractors,I think thats your best route. Shotcrete is a big deal with a lot of mess and waste. Also very expensive with a horrible ammonia smell that can make your family sick. I would call ins. agent to see if your covered ?

Eyejuggler likes this.
  5. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Doesn't LOOK structural; thats not much of a load on top of that concrete!
    Shotcrete is a process for making a concrete shell; maybe all you really need is some retaining wall kind of work. ?
    I'd be happy to look at it for you, and render an opinion. I'm full of opinions!

Eyejuggler likes this.
  6. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

PM sent

Eyejuggler likes this.
  7. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

First off, thanks for all the PM's and info! I had a crappy day at work so having this issue on top of it was rather over the top. Having a beer and reading the thoughts and tips have made me just decide to suck it up and try to build a retaining wall around all the crappy concrete/cobble mix. Shotcrete sounds a bit pricey and overkill for the need, plus I really hated the thought of spending a huge chunk of money I don't have for something so un-fun...gotta save the sheckles for a pontoon boat.
    I have little experience with concrete but I have seen enough to know roughly what I need to do and ANYTHING has got to be better than the funkyness that exists down there now.
    Gonna google some stuff and rent a small mixer when I get the form built. I will be certain to post a trip report on it as well :)

Thanks again for the beta and your time.
    Dave