Shots?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by bucksnort, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Are there any types of health issues to worry about when traveling to Christmas Island? Shots? Vaccinations? Thanks.

2. none. remember to bring everything you think you are going to need, there is nothing on the island. plenty of charlies, i like yellow, in size 8 are the ticket. very shallow water so the splash factor is critical. leaders can be anything you like but i lean toward mason because of the ever present coral.

have fun, this is a great trip. if you get onto spotting these fish, hire a guide and do a day out on the lee side outer reef. totally different experience and home to really BIG bones.

3. A friend went once a few years back. He scratched his shin on some coral. A week later he almost died of septic shock from a flesh eating bacterial infection that almost killed him. His leg is only bone and skin now...not kidding. Other than that everything should be just ducky!

4. P.S. don't get cut by the coral. iagree

5. I've traveled to some pretty far-flung fishing destinations for some thirty years and one item that has always been in my duffel is a guide model First Aid Kit. It has a lot of bandages of all kinds, scissors, a pump-up arm splint, etc., some of which I've added. It also has several plastic vials that I fill with such items as Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Tylenol PM and Imonium AD, etc. I've also added insect sting medicine. I don't believe that there has been a trip when someone didn't need something out of my kit.
    Finally, one should never travel anywhere without making sure that his/her shot schedule is up to date.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

6. I agree with the above replies.
    Two items I would not be without when going to an Island where there are coral reefs and jelly fish are:

Triple Antibiotic Ointment: A must for a coral cut. Best is to avoid getting one, but if you do, clean it out, apply the antibiotic ointment and keep it covered and DRY. Change the dressing regularly. Thats right...once you get cut, it is a good idea to keep the cut out of the salt water, as there are alot of bacteria, including strains of Staphlococci that will cause an ugly infection and delay healing.
    I've seen improperly cared for coral cuts develop into purple craters oozing puss and taking forever to heal, mainly because some surfer who'd hit the reef could not stay out of the water when the surf got "perfect" before the wound had skinned over good.
    So don't bang your ankle or shin into a coral head in the first place!

Powdered Meat Tenderizer: A must for jelly fish stings. Their venom is a protein compound that breaks down rapidly when you make a paste out of the meat tenderizer and rub it into the sting. Pain goes away and swelling goes down in less than a couple hours, as opposed to a day or two.
    Watch out for those little purple "Man-O-War"...a clear, purplish bubble about an inch or two long with a long (around 3 feet or so) purple tendril that is covered with the little stingers.
    These usually get blown into shore on the windward side of an island.
    You usually won't have to worry about them on the leeward side, as they aren't getting blown in to shore.
    I've been stung badly numerous times by these when I lived in Hawaii. I am eternally grateful to the lifeguard that told me about the meat tenderizer.

Have fun!

Jimbo

7. I failed to mention Jimbo's items. They are vital. Cold medication is also good. Never forget that with a well-stocked first aid kit you can keep a sick or injured buddy alive for three or four days, thus not having to cut an expensive destination trip short just to take him to a hospital.
    Good fishing,
    Les Johnson

8. as my age has increased, i have now habitually purchased emergency medical evacuation insurance as well. have a friend who had to be flown home from australia. insurance also paid for his wife to fly out and accompany him home. pretty cheap given what it could end up costing you.

9. if all else fails: vicodin and percoset

surf

10. I'd take a good pair of flats boots and I wouldn't wear shorts. I scratched my legs and arm up on fire coral once out of Key West. You don't want to do that, believe me.

The doc told me it had to literally "grow" out of my skin as the layers shed as the spores got planted deep. To make a long story short, I had a low-grade fever, just like when you are coming down with the flu..........but it lasted for 4 months. not fun.

Don't stress too much and you'll have a great time. Being too timid will ruin a trip, just be smart. If you catch some od fish that looks weird, be careful unhooking it. some of those things have poison. I got stung by a tiny stonefish once in Aruba as I went to unhook it and it put me in the infirmary of the cruise ship I was in. Luckily my sick, Klingon-like recuperative powers kicked in and I was dancing with my wife on a sunset booze cruise in two hours :cool:

11. Evacuation insurance is actually a pretty good idea gt. I have a friend that had to be evacuated from a remote site in BC 2 years ago after severing a thumb (got caught between rope and pulley while lowering skiff from mother ship). Only plane available was a private Lear jet, and insurance paid for it all, including sending the ET to accompany him, and his thumb, to Seattle to reattach it (successfully).

Vicodin and percoset is part of my emergency kit that accompanies me whenever I fish, hike or hunt, figuring that if I or my partner ever get a compound fracture I want more than what aspirin will give me. But I pull it out and leave it at home whenever going across the border, or airports. Same with flares and Swiss army knife.

12. my travelling emergency kit also has a sealed vial of lydacain(sp), a couple of insulin needles, some sealed alchol swabs and a brand new single edged razor blade. after watching a doc get a deeply embedded hook out of my hand, i now how it is done.

13. FYI, in an emergency you can urinate on the Jelly sting to dissolve the barb and toxin. If you can't urinate directly on the sting, urinate in the sand and rub it onto the wound. I had to use this in an emergency in hawaii and it saved my life (I accidently swam up under a school of toxic jellies while skin diving). The ammonia in your urine is what dissolves the toxin and barbs.

I also second what surf candy say's...... sometimes even if I don't get cut/stung.

14. I'm now starting to reconsider my BIG-60 birthday to the warm water. B.C. for steelhead is definitely another option.

15. hey bucksnort, this is just a bunch of internet jibjab.

once you experience salt water fishing in some place tropic, you will be hooked for life. that would be my only concern in making this kind of recommendation, everything else is going to become hohum.

this sort of thing is WAY more fun than most any PNWet fishing you can point too, including BC. when is the last time you had a 15" fish R...I...P 105' of flyline and part of your backing while you have the drag screwed down to an honest 2#???? thats just the beginning. the costa rica bill fish jpeg i posted is about 115# of muscle and one hell of a fight.

if you can go to a tropic destination, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. iagree with gt.
    I wait all year anticipating my annual trip to the Bahamas. I get totally stoked, and fire coral, rip tides, jellyfish, barracuda, sharks, customs, and airline lost luggage, be damned, I'm gonna get me some bonefish, and walk the beach before dawn fishing the beaches for jacks, and all the other tropical reef species. Wayyy to much fun. All the bullshit is just the price of admission to some of the best fly fishing there is, including steelheading in the cold ass water of BC.

17. I did fish in the salt about 10 years ago (Little Cayman Island). Went out with a guide to fish this lagoon about 2-1/2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide. Saw a sting-ray (its amazing how far away you can see these things in clear water with the right type of glasses). We motored over to intercept it. Turned off the motor and waited. As the ray passed about 50-feet away, we (the guide) saw a permit trailing and feeding for whatever the ray kicked up. The permit was about 20 feet behind the ray. The guide told me to drop the fly right over the back of the ray, that way, the ray would pass, just as the fly was sinking.

The guide told me to strip. The permit hit it. I'll tell you what, I've never seen something move so fast! It popped the 12# leader, needless to say. First cast in the salt; hooked a permit; lost a permit, still not a bad day. We continued to play with bonefish and even threw some gear at a barracuda (it was about six feet long and about a foot across the shoulders - don't like playing with them).

The next day we went to a small island within this little sound. There were three pods of bones that lived there. First bonefish - popped the leader; second bonefish (about 7 pounds) went into my backing about three times then beached; third bone - LDR (long distance release).

All of those southern water DO feel as good as they LOOK in the postcards.

I'm beginning to think that too much knowledge is not always too good.