Should I File It?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Derek Day, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    My christmas present to myself came in the mail today. It's a 4 1/4'' wide drum perfect-style farlow. I was wanting to get opinions on filing the smooth brass original foot.

View attachment 47001 View attachment 47002

2. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Don't do it. No matter how steady your hand or noble your intentions, it's gonna end up looking like, well, a hack job. If you (or your heirs) ever decide to sell the reel, it'll be worth a hell of a lot more with the original foot.

Instead, contact the folks at One-Pfoot and see if they can't adapt one of their gorgeous pfeet.

K

3. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Unfortunately, Bill at onePfoot is suffering some medical issues and I wouldn't count on them even answering the phone. At least this is what I've heard. If someone can correct me please do so.

4. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

nnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooo! see if Bill Archuleta can do it, make a foot or it. OnePfoot is non-op at present. YOu file that foot ad the value of the reel plummets. You could purchase a rod with a seat that fits.

5. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    The foot is attached by rivets. Are most done that way? Or, are most attached with screws? So, it wouldn't be easy to replace. I don't really want to mangle it, but i really want to fish it.

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Bill's your best alternative.

7. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Mark, what kind of rod and style of reel seat do you plan on using this reel with? See if you can modify or replace the reel seat before you hack on a classic! It's your reel........

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Call Bill Archuleta! Most likely he can make a spare reel foot for it, and you'll still have the original for collector's value.

Sg

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Since when are fine fishing tools collector's items?

10. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am a big fan of the Farlow Perfects and have a small one from the 20's that's my main trout reel:

[​IMG]

That being said, Farlow's fall way behind Hardy's and Dingley's on the spectrum of collectible reels, especially in a size like 4 1/4". So I think you should modify it in whatever way enables you to fish it and get maximum enjoyment. I don't think you should file it yourself. Unless you're a good machinist, you'll probably be disappointed in the result, especially if you try to sell the reel later.

If it were my reel, I would send it to Bill Archuleta and have him file it for you. Alternatively, have him make a replacement foot. A new foot will be expensive. He made a foot for an early 4" Dingley Perfect (2 pillar) of mine and the cost was around $285 if I recall correctly. The work was of extremely high quality. Getting him to file it for you would be much less but still expensive. Well worth the cost in my opinion.

The little reel in the above photo had some serious issues but Bill A. brought it back up to 'as-new' working condition (maybe better?) so it'll keep on fishing long after I'm gone.

That's a nice reel you've got. Do it right.

11. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    You know KB2 had a nice post about his custom reel making ( http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?84408-My-latest-reel-project ). You might contact him to see if he may be interested in making a custom foot for your reel. You'll still have to deal with the rivets but I'm sure with some care you can swap out the foot and use the reel on a "standard" rod. If you ever decide to sell it I think this would be a added value seeing as you still have the original foot.

Mike

12. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Derek,
    My vote would be to not file it (because "they aren't making 'em like that anymore").
    Least expensive option is to go buy yourself a live lobster from the "live" tank at your nearest gourmet grocery store. Cook and eat the lobster (or give it to me if you don't like the lobster!). Then, take off the two super strong rubber bands that hold the claws tight (these are the bands the lobstermen put on to keep the lobsters from murdering one another while in captivity, prior to being cooked). Use these to secure the reel to the reelseat on your rod, they'll fit really tight. This method works, plus you'll have something to eat even after releasing the big ones you're going to catch with that big reel.
    And, you won't murder that fine reel either...
    Another less appetizing option I've seen mentioned is to simply secure it with duct tape. It's ugly, but you'll save a lobsters life.

13. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    I think I'll pass on the custom milled foot, it would cost nearly as much as the reel did. I think I'll probably just electrical tape it to whichever rod I decide to fish it with. I'll probably just find reel seats that will accomodate the foot for future builds. Thanks for all of the input, I hope to have it on the water in the next day or two, as soon as the rivers start to drop.

14. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    I'm not sure what kind of reel seat ring(s) you have on the rod you want to fish the reel with, but if they are slip rings I could turn you up some oversized rings if you like. Or if you want to change a reel seat I can custom make you a seat and rings.

Mike

15. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

A real man would use either camo pattern duct tape or hose clamps. :eek:

TC

16. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Or the nylon twine that I used to attach a splint to my broken tent pole at Noe Creek a couple trips ago!

K