Should I stick with what I know?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by JEB, Jan 7, 2006.

1. I've been wanting to try out the Salt for some cutts. All of my fly experience is Dry's on skinny water. When I go should I stick with Dry's since it's all I really know, should I get myself set up with a sink tip, or some other set up to better my chances?:confused:

2. I use floating patterns for sea-run cutthroat quite often and find it very enjoyable for the visual aspect of the hook-up. Many times they will chase but not hit the pattern or will short strike it. Thus, it can be more difficult to hook the fish when compared to using sink-tips or full sinking lines with subsurface patterns. I prefer full sinking since they can be cast further.

My advice would be to use some kind of a sinking line and subsurface patterns and once you get some experience and confidence fishing in the saltwater then start playing around with some floating patterns.

Roger

3. Here is some info on dry flies. I would stick with surface stuff if you are willing to miss some fish. I use a floating line about 95% of the time fishing for SRC's. Your not fishing very deep water and a clouser will get you down just fine. If you get a sink tip get a light one or even a clear intermideate line.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=29061

4. Agreed - your floating line will be good if you're willing to put some baitfish / amphipod / krill patterns on it. You might catch fish with a humpy or a coachman, but it's not going to be as productive.

It depends upon what your objective is. When I go out, I know that I will have fun whether I catch fish or not, but I'll have a lot MORE fun if I catch fish - so I usually modify my techniques to best increase chances of success...

5. Thanks for the reply's. I'm going to start with dry's and also try some weighted flys with my floating line. I eventually want to get full sink and sink-tip set-up but for now I'm going to stick with what I got. The goal for me at this point is to try something new.
    :beer2: Thanks for the help!:beer2:

6. if you are going to only focus on searuns, then your sink should either be a sink tip or intermediate. Mainly because the oyster beds you will be fishing over will catch your full sink real quick since you are only going to be up to your knees (max) don't go out much further than that. Most people, myself included, when they first start seem to think that they need to wade as deep as possible then cast. (WRONG) The cutts cruise along the shoreline about 6-7 feet out (from what I have seen in my boat) and push in to attack prey (herding). Do not pick the line up off the water until it is almost on shore.

7. iagree
    If you buy a full sink, your box of flies will be gone in a day!