Shouldering The Renegade For Portaging

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by LCnSac, Mar 30, 2012.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Several Renegade owners have expressed some frustration in using the foot bar while balancing the Renegade on their shoulders for carrying. I would like to offer some suggestions, based on my demonstration to a dedicated Fat Cat owner yesterday on a lake.

1. First, don't preface the demonstration with absolute statements that it's easier to carry the Renegade than the Fat Cat, even though it weighs twice as much. You might not be counting the extra pounds of gear.

2. Next, don't do the demonstration on a slippery boat ramp. Flat, dry ground is better.

3. Should the weight of your Renegade, once elevated behind you, cause your feet to slip out from underneath you and you find yourself lying prone on your back on the boat ramp with your Renegade on top of you, be cool and just pretend you are taking a break from the procedure and watching the sky for weather.

4. Removing your gear bags first helps. Probably more important is not to attempt this procedure with your anchor in back of the boat.

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    In this case word were better than a picture.

I bet you were feeling it the day after.

3. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Thread of the Year! And, at last, a kindred soul.

4. Gators

Gators New Member

While playing disc golf with friends today, I saw some players carrying their bags with these shoulder harnesses; I wonder if something like this could be converted to work with this type of boat, or others like the Assault, Assault XX, etc...

Yes/No?

Latitude_64_Bag_Straps_Straps_Standard.jpg

5. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I'm thinking that a teenager & the lure of money beats the harnesses and anything else, hands-down, and every time . . .

6. Gators

Gators New Member

So, for those of you who own, or are familiar with the makeup of Scadden boats, are there places to connect a shoulder harness like what's pictured? I imagine it would be easier to portage a boat if it were being supported by the shoulders, and not just being carried in hand.

7. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    You don't need it. If you avoid Step 2 in the OP it's pretty easy. Stand it up straight behind your back, grab the foot bar, bend forward and slide it up your back until it balances. Trust me, after that fiasco I practiced the next day, gear bags and all. On my driveway;-)

8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Just get two thick straps with metal clasps. Hook them diagonally across the boat forming a cross. Put your head through the middle. This type of set-up works great for hiking in my fully loaded watermaster

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Friend, you are fit and tall...and your early model watermaster is a silvertip...tiny compared to the Kodiak.

If someone wanted to carry an adjustable web strap, connect it to the rear of the boat on both sides. Run this strap behind your shoulders. Face the loaded rear of the boat. Duck your head under the strap. Lift with hands on the carry handle, step on to the drop zone. A single, simple adjustable web strap that reaches from the D rings on each side of the back. Done. Simplify life. When finished, fold up the strap and put it in the cargo bag for the trip back, and all your future trips.

10. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I am liking the idea of that shoulder strap. I see it more on my Assault than the Renegade. The Assault is more balanced in the middle. If I can hoist the Renie up on my shoulders, anyone can. But I do take my gear off first...specially the battery:eek: