Show Me Your Fly Box!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Thomas Williams, May 1, 2013.

1. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Media:
    My trout files are all tossed in a bass pro shops plastic POS box that came free with my first fly rod outfit so there's no point posting it. It just looks like my golden retriever shed some hair into a 6 compartment box.

However I just put together this steelhead/salt collection with the help of troutdopemagic and a generous friend -- at least it photographs like I know what the hell I'm doing

Attached Files:

troutdopemagic and plaegreid like this.
  2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I wonder how much $$$ is contained in all the fly boxes if the patterns were sold at retail?

Okay, I'll bite. I have far too many trout patterns boxes to show so I'll go with my warmwater fly boxes. I also have specialty boxes for steelhead, salmon, SRC, shad and blue-water patterns but I'm too lazy to mess around with those.

IMG_1002_edited-1.jpg

The irony, of course, is that only a dozen of these patterns work with any consistency.

Freestone likes this.
  3. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

This is one of those "geez, I'm stupid" situations. When I fish the coastal lakes in Oregon, there are patterns that work more often then anything else. When I take off in my pontoon boat, I have 10-12 different fly boxes with me. I don't use 95% of those flies.

It occurred to me... why the devil do I carry so many patterns I'll never use?

So, I decided to wise up and built a fly box specifically for the lakes I fish the most often. I added flies that have worked for me in the past and a few experimental patterns just for the heck of it.

This is the fly box I just completed that includes the patterns that have worked well for me in the past. I think I may try something new and just take this box with me the next time I head out for a coastal lake.

Sometimes I amaze myself at how dumb I've been all these years. One box makes a lot more sense than 10.

IMG_1030_edited-1.jpg

Thomas Williams likes this.
  5. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Movin' water nymph box.

[​IMG]

dfl likes this.
  6. waterworker

waterworker Cape Codder

Media:
    Some Cape Cod Striper Flatwings... 900x900px-LL-8defb683_120218_0003.jpg

7. Irafly

Irafly Bobber Downey Sr.

Media:

This is a baaaaaaad idea. You will now undoubtedly be out fished by everyone on the lake using patterns that you left at home. If you can carry 10, then carry 10. Hell every time I'm on a lake I have my saltwater flies, my river flies, my steelhead flies, my spring creek flies, etc... Ironically enough I just hit a bass lake last weekend and for some odd reason before the trip I had taken out my bass flies to do some reorganizing and they ended up not making it back into my box. Ahhh, but my lake box was in there and I produced some nice large mouth using nothing but my leeches.

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Yeah, it goes against my "just in case" theory but the damned pontoon boat gets heavier each year I grow older. It's either cut down on the contents or hire a porter. :)

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Albums:
    Every few years, I need to empty all of my boxes into the large plastic divider boxes and rebuilt them. I try to pack just what I need for a trip (along with a few things I might need) so I tend to go through boxes and steal stuff and they all get mixed up.

I have tried this too, GAT. The problem is I now have 6 or so 'just 1 boxes' and I sometimes end up taking them all - along with all the specialized just-in-case boxes!

Steve Call likes this.
  10. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I don't see having too many boxes as a problem. Although I have been caught off guard on the water needing a fly I don't have with me. Sooooo...I lug them all just in case.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

11. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    Geez, very admirable. I have two boxes that go everywhere with me where I try to cover the major bug groups. Plus, whatever specialty boxes I carry. I have one just for Rocky Ford, three for N.ID. and W. MT trout, and three or four for lakes. The excuse I use is that I tie all of my own flies and do not want to leave any children at home; it just isn't fair. But I know you also tie so I really admire your will power to just bring one box.

12. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Heck I'm at the point of acceptance where I'm just buying additional boxes in small enough sizes that they fit into the "other" pockets of my vest...

I've tried the less is more thing. At this point I'm just tying more, more, more.

Yes, to OMJ's point, I typically fish only three flies, when nymphing anyways, in about 5 different sizes. But the other flies are all insurance, and as we all know catastrophe always strikes when uninsured.

13. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

Freestone likes this.
  14. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Since I just mainly fish out of my drifter now I went to gear box's a few years ago. plenty of room for more flies! these Box's are always with me in my drift-boat in a back pack and small gear bag. And I can always stuff a vest in no time if need be.

fly box\'s 001.jpg

fly box\'s 002.jpg fly box\'s 002.jpg fly box\'s 003.jpg fly box\'s 004.jpg fly box\'s 005.jpg fly box\'s 006.jpg fly box\'s 007.jpg fly box\'s 008.jpg fly box\'s 009.jpg fly box\'s 010.jpg

For dainty dries and nymphs! And the metal box with window lids for my smallest dries I won from ROPERS give away a free fly box - lucky #37 Thanks again Roper - love the box!!!

fly box\'s 002.jpg

fly box\'s 004.jpg

GAT likes this.
  15. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

I just today checked out this thread.

Sweet pistachio peanuts!!! :eek:

Lookin' at all the photos here makes me feel like a shoe fetishist with access to Imelda Marcos's closet! :D

I need to start tyin' more!

16. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    More of my arsenal. I think this is about it... there may be some box I forgot about lurking somewhere though.

[​IMG]

GAT likes this.
  17. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wow, I am impressed with the organization and number of flies in all those boxes.

I am still using the first "wallet" that I bought when I started fly fishing in 1972. I did supplement it with those "free" wallets from Orvis when you bought 10 flies for $9.95 about a decade ago.

Then I realized I was still fishing with the first fly reel I ever bought.....a Daiwa 700. They just don't make them like that anymore.....well maybe, since they were AN EXACT COPY of a Hardy Flyweight.

Now I am worried that the OLD MAN in Montana might be using newer stuff than me!!

Click on the link below for the picture of my "wallet"!!

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=50516