Show me your raft

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by verendus, Nov 7, 2012.

1. verendus Member

Nor Cal
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    My want for a bigger boat has been growing. After a season with a Watermaster, I had upgraded to the 2 person Assault XX, and after a few day trips, now I am ready to jump to either 13' or 14' raft.

I know that Aire SDP is pretty popular among fishermen, but portability, storage is high on the priority list. I am looking at one of the Hypalon rafts, but, the price is prohibiting on the newer boat. I would like to hear some opinion on what might be a good middle of the road raft for steelheading, multiday floats, family day trip (whitewater).

I am thinking of putting a rowing frame with some storage options. Is it worth going 14'? I don't have a trailer yet, but for these 130-140lbs beasts (compared to NFO's meager 35lb boats), is trailer the best option? PVC vs. Hypalon, bladder vs. bladderless, glued vs. welded? I need some help.

I would love to see some photos of how you rig your raft.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
  3. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +832 / 0
  4. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +197 / 2
    If money were no option, I'd get a Maravia raft with a 3 module custom aluminum frame. But since it is an object, this is my alternative.

The one thing I might change is build a custom, break down aluminum rower module and put it on one of the 80 lb NRS rafts and invite a buddy to split the cost on a Dean River helicopter drop off float trip.

Attached Files:

• RMR.JPG
      RMR.JPG
      File size:
      4.3 MB
      Views:
  5. verendus Member

Nor Cal
    That streamtech boat is really nice, but way out of my price range. What is the other boat you have up there?
  6. verendus Member

Nor Cal
    Is that NRS Otter? I haven't found an 80lb NRS boat in 13'-14' range yet. I am thinking of the same. Build modular frame that can do multiday or a single rowing frame with an ice box as a seat for the front. That raft is still a sweet setup.
  7. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    The 13' Livery is listed at 80 lbs but is a non-self bailing. The 13' Otter is listed at 104 lbs and is a self bailer. I can see getting two frame options for a single raft; one setup for fishing 2 anglers with full floors and lean bars and all the bells and whistles and a second rower module as stripped down as possible to be used strictly for lightweight transport while fishing without using a trailer for hauling to the river.
  8. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,156 / 0
    I have always wondered what would happen and how much weight and space could be saved if one took out/unlaced the floor, especially for fly-in trips. If the floor were drop stiched, I would think a lot of weight and space could be saved. With a well-designed frame, while one would loose floatation, it should function like a raft/cat hybrid similar to some of Scadden's boats.
    Ed Call likes this.
  9. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    FS, I think the flotation loss would be minimal as the drop-stitched floors I don't think have as much air capacity as the floors built in (in my experience). Catarafts don't have any inflatable floors and they float just fine. With a raft, you'd have even more flotation around the bow and stern than pontoons. The weight saving by removing the drop-stitched floor would be some but minimal compared to the overall weight of camping gear for a week (again, I'm imagining taking it into the Dean or something like that). I think it would row/handle fine without the floor but the bigger issue would be storing your gear as it would have to be lashed/strapped around the raft and frame without the luxury of resting on the floor. But you are right, I imagine you could row it down the river just fine without a floor.
    Ed Call likes this.
  10. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    The other raft is also a Maravia, the Williwaw 1.5 - after this trip on the Smith, that guy sold his boat and bought mine. :)

11. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +699 / 2
  12. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Streamers - the fishing was poor, but we managed a fish or two. Snowed 3" on the morning of our last day, paddled out in a snowstorm.

Attached Files:

13. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Check our the NRS site for used rafts. They have several that fit what you appear to want.
  14. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +233 / 0
    David-that looks exactly like the raft I bought from you! :) Which I love by the way! Rick
  15. Jake Dixon Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    New Image4.JPG Tappan Falls.JPG
    The first pic is my boat running Sulfur Slide on the MFS. The second is a sweet pic of my dad and I running another 13' raft through Tappan Falls this past September.

Mine is a 13' Aire E series and I don't have a trailer. It has worked well for day fishing trips for up to three people and multi-day floats for two people. I throw the frame on my roof rack and pack everything else into the back. That said, I'm planning to buy a trailer in 2013. It's a lot to unload and set up each time.

I'm planning on buying a 14' or 15' raft in the next couple of years, as we add kids and trips.
    Mayfly Aviator likes this.
  16. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    BDD, are you a RMR dealer now? What size is the raft pictured?
  17. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Verendus, if you haven't done so, check out Rocky Mountain rafts. Lots of good for the money. I have their 14' Cat tubes and they are rugged. Heavy, tho. Welded PVC.
  18. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Here is my boat. speaking of Rocky mountain rafts I saw that riverboat works is having a 20% off sale on them.
    [IMG]
  19. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    CIMG2542 (2).jpg 14' RMR tubes, frame is 40"x 69" X 88" by KVI. Floor is 38"x 88" bleacher planks.

Attached Files:

20. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    You are correct sir. Glad you like it.