Show off your two person Catarafts

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Back to the top for more tips and suggestions.

I just met with Josh and picked up his used Outcast PAC 1200. It is used but in pretty good shape and should do me and whomever I take along quite well.

So, there are no teflon spacers inside the oarlock fitting. I've got a set of Cobras that I'll put on the craft, but want to put the teflon sleeve in first. Where can I find such a teflon tube pretty quickly?

How large of an anchor does a craft like this take? Is a craft this size more capable of anchoring in slow moving water? I have never anchored my 8' or 9' pontoon in a flowing river, only taken it to the bank and then fished on foot from there. I know the negatives of anchoring in heavy flows that can drag down a pontoon, does that apply to all sizes of craft. Should I just throw my 10# er on there and keep using the craft for access only and not even contemplate anchoring in flow? I know the front angler can fish whenever they feel like it, but I'd like to get some fishing in too. As I think of it more I'll probably opt to anchor on the bank and then put boots on rocks like normal and use the craft for improved access.

This is one of the older PAC 1200 that had the bottom of the lean bar welded to a cross bar in front of the casting platform. Apparently these frequently broke off and fell into the depths of the water. I'll be conduit creating some type of front lean bar. If anyone has retrofitted your older PAC 1200 and would care to show some photos of your work I'd appreciate it.

Riseform, tell me more about that storage unit behind the front caster's seat. I think that would be a great place to string up some sort of storage unit so that I can reach the stuff easily (if I have my wife up front and I'm managing the rigging and retying of her gear).

This one has an elevated rear deck, not the one that sits low between the pontoons. It attaches to the rear sides by the rower and rests across the tubes. I think that I will consider putting two seat mounts back there for my little ones for when we go to the lakes so they are close to me. (They are small, so they are not heavy and this is not a river running configuration)

Thanks in advance for anything you've got to offer. I hope to get it wet soon, very soon.

2. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

Congrats on the addition to your fleet!!!

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

PM sent.

4. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    It's pretty much what you see in the picture. A mesh bag with built in belt attachments on the front, back and sides that strap to the frame. The bottom is free hanging, but there is a bar of the frame crossing beneath it. It's 2 feet wide, one foot in length. The depth changes as it slopes down from the seat back (~13 inches) to the front (~9 inches) where the zippers are in the picture. I added the plastic bins, which I modified (cut at an angle) to fit appropriately.

I looked at the Creek Company website and I don't see it listed as a replacement item, but I'm sure you could call and inquire. If you contact them before the end of the labor day weekend, everything they sell is currently 50% off.

5. Ed Call

Media:
    Took the Outcast PAC 1200 out on a local stillwater this afternoon. First, it is narrower than my 9' Fishcat Panther because of the Panther's quad toon wide design. That means it fits into my conduit creations roof rack with room to spare on the sides. It sits nicely atop the truck and that means no trailer necessary. Yes, it is about 100# to 125# and is no easy chore to lift solo atop the truck, but so be it, it beats needing a trailer.

Off to Buck Lake with the family. The wife was up front and was pleased at the front lean bar that I created (the original design had broken off by the previous owner). I took the "lido deck" platform that I've used on my 9' er for my girls to accompany me and put it midship nestled just behind the front seat and above the rower's foot pegs. That allowed them to be weight center fore and aft as well as centered atop a pontoon, one on each side. There was no interference with their camp chairs (with arms to keep them from flipping out of the sides) when rowing. The total weight was pretty well balanced.

The outing lasted about an hour of me rowing to explore all the flora and fauna. I was not able to pressure check the tubes and it tracked a bit lopsided because apparently one was a touch under inflated.

Everyone had a good time and that is the important thing. I dropped them off at the playground and rowed back to the launch, loaded the truck and then met them a bit later. While rowing solo the craft rowed pretty good too. I bet this would be a blast solo with a lot of gear on some multi-day trips.

Too bad I don't have any friends to invite me along!

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Mumbles, none of us can tell you exactly what kind of water you "can" anchor in. My experience tells me a 20# anchor and then dropping it in different types of water will let you know what you can comfortably do. Pretty simple. Keep a knife handy. I don't like to pass up good water so we have anchored in some pretty heavy stuff.

That NRS boat posted above would probably be fitted with a 25 and could be anchored easily in fairly heavy riffles/runs that you would want to fish.

7. Ed Call

Media:
    PT, thanks for that info. I am looking for a 25# pyramid or lead free alternative. When I add that my blade will be right next to the cord for sure. Thanks again.

8. PT

PT Physhicist

Just test it in different flows. I went from 10 to 15........ and up, until I could finally anchor in the heaviest flows my boat could handle and it was with a 30. I'd be more cautious anchoring your boat than the one I had.

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Will do. Thanks again.