Shrimp fishing

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Salmonchaser25, May 6, 2009.

1. Salmonchaser25

Salmonchaser25 Member

Media:
    Was wondering if anyone had any info about fishing for shrimp with pots. Is it similar to crab, ie the bait and location just a different pot or should I look for different spots and use different bait. I live in Bellingham and am going to use my canoe to drop the pots

thanks john:thumb:

2. rockfish

rockfish Member

3. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Regs for shrimping are online, they're fairly specific about the type of pot to use and when/where you can do it.

http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/shrimpreg/shrimppage09.htm

I went for the first time last week and did well. We fished in ~300 feet of water and used cat food for bait. I don't own a line puller, I was exhausted pulling up 300+ ft of rope every hour or so, I've been shopping around for one since then. :)

4. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    mmmmmmm.....shrimps:thumb:

5. Birdsnest

Birdsnest Member

Canned cat food is the usual bait and the shrimp differ from crabs in that they are in much deeper water (250-400 ft). Make sure you put some weights in your pots or you will likely loose them in the current. As ibn says, it is a lot of work if you don't have a pot puller.

6. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Media:
    Home Page:
    Shrimping is fun, if you have a pot puller. Our best pot last weekend was in shallow (180ft). Picture was from last year on the canal. We didnt take any last saturday. I will give a report this saturday though.

Clint

7. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Are the crabs not in deeper water? I know the regs won't let you fish for crabs in deeper water. A 100' line is all you can use, no longer.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    As I Am, when I go out for crab I've found my best success in a few spots that are about 80' deep. I've found that at that depth I get almost 100% Dungeness. At about 50' there are places that I find crab but sometimes it is a mix of Dungeness and Red Rock. I am the pot puller, for that reason alone I'm not that tempted to drop a set of shrimp pots 200' to 400'. When I keep stockers or hatchery fish I tend to bag the scraps (fillet free spines, fins, heads) and use that for crab bait and I feed the cat food to the cats.

9. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    you can fish for crab at any depth you choose.

shrimp, as already posted, are deep water critters that move with the tides. the 'usual' drop is in water >200'. if you are exploring, a set of 45 minutes will tell you if you are in the right location or not. without a pot puller, you are going to have a tough time of it. my traps each weight on the order of 30# empty, just to keep the currents from taking they out of the area i drop.

cat food works, dry fish pellets work, see what you can find the best buy on and stick with it.

10. Trent

Trent Ugly member

I've never gone after shrimp before, but I do agree with mumbles on the crab set up and depth. I was just curious if they inhibited deeper water and as to why the regs won't let you use line that is longer than 100' for crabs.

11. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Hmmmm. Canoe, setting / pulling pots? People have turned over bigger, more stable craft pulling pots.

Just my $.02.

MB

12. I've heard it closes in MA 9 and 10 today as the quota has been met.

13. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    we boated four limits last saturday, all around 240 255 feet deep. my shrimping guru says you can use anything for bait as long as its mackerel, which we mixed with cat food that supposedly had mackerel in it as well. dont use the shrimping pellets, they were desingned for commercial fishermen that leave their pots out longer than us weekend warriors.

as far as crabbing goes the best is usually in or near eel grass beds.

14. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

A friend of mine was out last weekend and said some guy on a boat in the area had have a medivac because he got caught in a gas powered winch of some sort. I didn't hear if it was a standard pot type puller or maybe a capstan style. Know what you are doing with the pullers before you start yanking. Any of those things can hurt you bad if you aren't paying attention.

15. wolverine

wolverine Member

As has been the case the past few years the shrimping season is very short and sweet. We got our daily limits in our usual locations. With the short seasons and cost of gear if I didn't already have all the gear I doubt that I'd participate in the fishery. Spots are great eating!

16. Salmonchaser25

Salmonchaser25 Member

Media:
    thanks for the input, and your right pulling up crab and shrimp pots is probably a horrible idea but sometimes you got to work with what you got hopefully i will be posting some pictures of pots full of shrimp soon, any idea on how I could figure out water depth without gps, maybe map online? dont have a fish finder on the canoe

17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    There are some decent versions of marine maps that show depth contours. Most marine stores will have them. I recommend the extra few bucks to get one that is laminated or on the weather resistant paper, no sense investing in a piece of paper that will last one day. Best of luck.

18. Trent

Trent Ugly member

iagree The cost of gear and the shortness of the season is why I have never got into shrimping.

19. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    just look for all the buoys that are too far out to be crabbers and set up near by

20. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    i am curious as to where you got the notion that you can only use 100' of line when crabbing. is there a page number in the regs you can share?

some marine areas do indeed close to shrimping very quickly. other areas will remain open until the official end of the season as pressure is so light. any quota which is not sport caught rolls over to the commerical shrimpers so get out there :)

without my ace line hauler, i would not be doing this, no way. and remember, shrimp are super good swimmers so each time you stop to catch your breath, you are going to have them swimming out of your trap.

decoy, shrimp floats have to be yellow, crab floats are red/white, pretty straight forward to spot what is going on.