Shrimp pattern for resident coho and sea-run cutthroat

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Roger Stephens, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Below are a photograph, materials list, and instructions to tie a very effective shrimp paattern for resident coho and sea-run cutthroat.

Hook: #6 Mustad 34011 or #6 TMC 9394 4XL

Thread: Black mono cord

Weight: .03 lead wire

Body: Mix of 1/2 and 1/2 Riverborn Simi Seal Dubbing(Golden shiner #21)
    and Hareline Dubbin: Medium brown Krystal Dub

Hackle: Grizzly cock saddle patch brown

Tail: Squirrel tail natural brown

About 3/4 of the hook shank is wrapped woth .03 lead wire. Tie on about 3/4" of squirrel tail for the tail. Tie on the hackle at back of the hook shank and then dub body over the wrapped .03 lead wire. Palmer hackle foreward over the dubbed body and tie off. Pretty simple and takes only a couple of minutes to tie.

I am presently using the pattern with the hackle in a full palmer(top pattern) but have tied up some with the hackle clipped(bottom pattern) on the top. The clipped ones look better to my eyes but the resident coho and sea-run cutthroat don't appear to care whether the top is clipped or not. I coat the top of the clipped pattern with Softex to give it the appearance of a shell back.

Roger

Attached Files:

2. Another great pattern Roger. Thanks for sharing and openly commenting on how they are producing for you...time to go squirrel hunting.

3. Nicely done, Roger. Thanks. Your previous description was enough to make it possible to duplicate this, but it's always nice to see the picture.

I've had luck on on a barely similar pattern but smaller:

Tail of burnt orange marabou, 1/2 shank length
    Body of chenille to match the dubbing you show
    Hackle of brown (red game) saddle palmered, clipped top and bottom so that fibers stick out on both sides
    Hot orange conehead on #6 34007

4. Thanks Roger! Great looking tie.

5. Thanks Roger,

You da man! I can't wait to get out and try these.

6. Dear BFK,

How nice that you are so visually gifted or perhaps already own the entire Hareline catalog, for the rest of us that like to substitute materials, pictures allow us not to have to run out and buy "X Y & Z" every time someone posts a new recipe (i.e., dubbing colors).

Thanks again Roger for taking the time and effort to post a photo!

--SW

7. That's real nice lookin' - I think there's gonna be a few of those in my box here real quick ;)

Thanks for sharing.

8. FYI-- That was a complement to Roger's description. Photos are nice, no doubt, but Roger pretty much nailed it in what he said.

9. That's a beauty Roger, thanks for the photo and recipe. :thumb:

-Jeff

10. Looks like a nice Nyerges Nymph. Nice job!
    Gill told me that he's caught just about every species of fish on that pattern including Tarpon.

11. Tasty looking and simple! I like simple! Thanks, Roger!

12. Missed my chance on a fresh roadkill high-fiving red squirrel yesterday. Its tail appeared to be untouched.

13. Roger, this is a great looking pattern.

I tie a "Bead-head Woolly Bugger" that's similar to Roger's pattern in terms of shape and color. I'm not sure whether it imitates a shrimp, a marine worm, or just something tasty looking.

Hook: Mustad 9672 8-6
    Bead: Gold 5/32 or 3/16
    Body: New age chenille Goldenstone #2, or Simi-Seal in olive amber
    Hackle: brown saddle - palmered
    Rib: Copper wire, counter-wrapped over hackle for durability

Tom
    Kent, WA

Attached Files:

14. Thanks Roger! Using a variant of your pattern (added black bead-chain eyes & a counter rib of a couple strands of pink krystal flash) I went 3 for 6 on rezzies in about 2.5 hours of fishing on the blustery So. Sound today.

I had thrown a small marabou clouser for about 45 min before switching to the shrimp and then hooked up on the second cast. Fishing it on the swing in the tidal current with a very slow twitchy retrieve seemed to be the ticket.

T.

15. Ive found shrimp patterns to produce alot more fish in the last couple weeks as to baitfish. I like to start out with epoxy heads, clousers...ect and maybe hook up a couple times but once I start fishing the smaller pink and orange shrimps its like someone turns the light on. Ive gotta tie up a few of these more "natural" colored shrimps. It seems like all I have is the basic brighter and flashier imatations.

16. The shrimp pattern shown in the picture is an attempt to imitate the coonstripe shrimp which is a common shrimp often found in shallow waters of Puget Sound. Thus, I am going to call the pattern a coonstripe shrimp fly. These shrimp vary in color from light brown to reddish brown. I prefer to fish top water patterns but the coonstripe shrimp pattern has been one of the best subsurface pattern which I use. It is often as good or better than a clouser minnow. Sea-run cutthroat and resident coho in particular seem to like it but I have caught adult coho and adult chinook on it.

Thomas:

I have had the most success with the coonstripe shrimp pattern using a retrieve similar to the one which you described. I use a short moderate retrieve with a 1 second or so pause. The fish usually strike it on the pause and it is often a "soft take" so you have to be able to "pull the trigger" quickly.

Roger

17. If you fish Coastal Cutthroat or Resident Coho in Puget Sound this fly should be in your box. Roger introduced this fly to me three years ago and it has been a steady producer. My problem is I usually carry about 100 different patterns and admittedly do not fish the Coonstripe often enough.

18. Steve --- Redrider here (George), up in Everett ... Total new to this blog/site, and really to "flying" (coming back after 12+ years) ... While I am an engineer, (Boeing), and a bug for details, Leland would no doubt tell me to just tie up something interesting, and to "get my feet on the beach" .. Nuf said, and I kinda agree and understand what he is saying -- no amount of reading/talking will take the place of listening/smelling/SEEING! But each of us has to be comfortable in what we do trying to learn this, and one of the issues I WILL NOT be bothered by is "trying things out" when I have my "FBFFD" (fly box for the day) ... so having a few more than a palm full will help me a LOT ... WOULD YOU CARE TO SHARE W/ A BEGINNER YOUR [say] ... TOP 25 CUTT patterns, w/ any minor comments you want to make on any of them ... I WILL visit Leland @ Orvis, and try to get some kind of a "here's your list -- go try these, and see me in 2 months" selection, but this IS a tough issue w/ me -- not ANAL, but just want my efforts in driving/time/$$ cost/etc to be somewhere above the mdl break point OK ? Any help in having something close to "these have worked in the past for me" patterns to tie up ... would be so VERY greatly appreciated ! Thank you Steve! Even call if you get the chance ... (by the way, the "Coonstripe" sounds like a GREAT pattern, but I found <nothing> like a photo that ROGER refers to -- no link/jpg/URL -- nothing !) ... George YOUNG (425) 258-3300 ..... kalliefarm@comcast.net

19. redrider, I would suggest using the search function on this site. You will find all that you are looking for and more with the click of a button! I know it has helped me tremendously.

20. redrider:

If you do a search on this site using "shrimp pattern for resident coho and sea-run cutthroat" dated 12/07/08, you will find a photograph, materials list, and tying instruction for the coonstripe shrimp pattern. Hope that helps you.

Roger