Shrimp pattern

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Jack Devlin, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

I watched cutthroats today gorging themselves on shrimp. Literally millions of shrimp up to an inch long. The cutts wouldn't touch anything but a shrimp and I had no suitable flies with me. Anyone have a good pattern for these little shrimp?

Attached Files:

2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Try just a simple scud/amphipod pattern. I like a curved scud hook. Tie in some clear crystal flash over the entire shank with some extending past the bend as a tail and leave two or four strands extending past the eye as feelers. Tie in small pair of black plastic eyes (or small black bead chain if you want a little more weight). Finally tie in some clear crystal chenielle/esatz and trim it close around the sides and top, leaving the bottom for legs. Not the most exact match but simple to tie and should get you close.

3. Jack Devlin

Thanks Rob. Sounds good, easy, and quick. I'll make up some tonight. Quite a spectacle watching the cutts. I fished the spot two days ago and was able to entice many to a small knudson spider. But, not today. They only had shrimp on their mind. It was interesting to see the cutts feeding on the shrimp and the Kingfishers and Herons feeding on the cutts.
    Thank, Jack

4. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Very cool Jack, the cutts are aggressive as hell right now, but have only seen them hammering sandlance, not shrimp..... I'll have to tie up some shrimp, thanks for that easy fly idea Rob.

5. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Great pictures Jack, and thanks for sharing. Rob, I think I'll tie up some of those as well, good simple pattern.

6. Jack Devlin

I didn't have any clear chenille or estaz so I used olive dubbing. The shrimp were a deep olive-brown color. I used mono for the eyes.
    Here is what I came up with and what surely will work. Kind of in a hurry tonight. Tied up a bunch - quick. Here is photo. PLEASE this is not the greatest tie but rather a quicky fish fly. I put some epoxy on the top. Thanks again Rob for the pattern idea.
    jack View attachment 15824

7. Jack Devlin

8. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    That looks far nicer then what I had in mind, but your skinny rear section and epoxy back over the olive really give that translucency seen in the shrimp you posted.

9. Jack Devlin

The shrimp pattern worked great today. MANY cutts caught - mostly 7-8 inch range. Smaller fish would strike at the fly but no hook ups. Had hoped for some larger fish but just too many small ones around. One can see a cutt jump in foreground of att photo taken today.

Attached Files:

10. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Just for some variety you might consider a pink hot spot in the body like an egg cluster in a pregnant shrimp.

TC

11. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
  12. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Hi Jack,
    Those are mysids. Mysids are more closely related to amphipods, isopods, tanaids, and cumaceans (Paracarid crustaceans); they are not that closely related to true shrimp (Decapods). Unlike true shrimp, they tend to have the thin abdomens that your middle picture highlights and they form schools for protection as your observations support. While most mysids are marine, there are some freshwater species (e.g., Mysis relicta) which occur in lakes and reservoirs ("freshwater shrimp"). There are some patterns available that can be adapted to our local species (see http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/mysid.htm, http://www.flymartonline.com/article109.html, http://taylorcreekflyshop.blogspot.com/2010/01/demystifying-mysis-shrimp.html).

Steve

13. Jack Devlin

Hey, thanks much for the education. Still a learning experience for me. Fished again today and the Mysids were so thick I almost thought I could walk on them. Also schools of sand lance observed today. My fishing buddy (see photo) gave me fishing lesson today.
    Thanks,
    Jack

Attached Files: