Shrunken Squid

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by jonbackman, Jan 4, 2013.

1. jonbackman Member

Mt. Vernon
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I think I found a great use for these transparent heat shrink tubes that I bought awhile ago. Micro tube with a conehead, pink krystal flash, everglow flash. Slide everglow braided body tubing over it, add stick on eyes. Then slide the heat shrink over everything and apply some heat. Pretty simple.

image.jpg
  2. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +285 / 0
    nice squid
  3. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    That looks pretty darn good Jon. I've been playing around with some squid patterns and you have given me another idea for the mantle . Been trying mylar tubing, chenille, latex etc. I'll put up one of them tomorrow.
    Jack
  4. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    Squid are fun as hell to tie and fish. I need to get back to the vice with squid on the brain.
  5. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    Thinking more about your idea of the heat shrink tubing. I know it comes in different diameters and even colors so lots of possiblities. I'm thinking of clear tubing over different color bodies even silver/gold to show through. I will be experimenting. thanks for the inspiration.
    Jack
  6. jonbackman Member

Mt. Vernon
    Jackd: exactly what I was thinking when I bought the heat shrinks. Many possibilities. I really like looking for creative new materials and techniques to create effective patterns.
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  7. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    What size tubing are you using?
  8. NWstonefly New Member

Bellevue
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Great fly! Never thought of using heat shrink tubing for flies, and have a bunch of it lying around. Thanks.
  9. jonbackman Member

Mt. Vernon
    Chris: before heating, the tube is about 3/8" dia, it shrinks down to about 1/8". There were a lot of different sizes available, and I'm sure many would be useful in different applications. I got it at Hardware Sales in Bham.
  10. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Cool, thanks Bro
  11. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Nice job Jon, way to think outside the box!