Shuttle Service

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by YAKIMA, Oct 2, 2002.

1. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Anyone out there ever use the shuttle service put out by Worley-Bugger fly shop in Ellensburg for the Yakima ? I am thinking of using it for me with my pontoon boat. How do you secure your boat/pontoon boat when they are following you to the take out location and your by yourself? Thanks, Greg :CONFUSED

2. bigheadr

bigheadr New Member

I tried to get shuttle with Worley-Bugger fly shop a few weeks back but they weren't doing it and referred me to Red's. I have been using Red's ever since. They are both reasonable and reliable. I had reservations about giving my spare key but it turned out OK so I recommend them.

3. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

You can also try The Evening Hatch. They have a small fly shop right off the canyon road at the gas station. They pretty much have the same set up. You leave your spare with them and tell them what time you would like your truck/car at the take out. They also give you a free fly. I also found out that the KOA also offers shuttles for about half the price.

4. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

Steve Joyce, the new owner of Red's, is a standup guy who has worked very hard this summer to provide reliable service. You can feel very safe using his shuttle service. Stop by the shop, fill out a form with the info regarding where you're putting in, where you want your vehicle left, leave a spare key. You go to put in spot, put it & leave you're locked vehicle there. Steve will pick it up and have it waiting for you at the pull out spot, locked & safe!!

Good luck!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
    line between religion and fly
    fishing" Norman Maclean

5. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

I use Red's too. They are very friendly and reliable. I usually put my pontoon boat in right at their shop and float 5 or 6 miles down to "the slab." They ask me when I plan to take out, and charge me $10 to drive my truck down river. One time, I was having a problem with my car battery and the owner (Steve) was worried that it wouldn't start when I got to the pullout. He asked me to stop by the shop on my way out at the end of the day so he could go to sleep that night without worrying that I was stranded. I got off the river about dusk and as I was pulling into Red's to check in, Steve and his fiance were just climbing into the car to drive downriver to check on me. I was very impressed and little embarassed.

They also have an air compressor so that you can inflate your pontoons in a flash. They've never charged me to use it, but then I'm always buying stuff in their shop.

Incidentally, I made that float yesterday. After two hours of nymphing with Stone flies produced nothing (noon to 2 pm), I picked up 5 nice rainbows in two hours (2 pm to 4 pm), all on Blue Winged Olives.

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day."

6. YAKIMA

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU... PLEASE KEEP ADVISE COMING... I REALLY WANT TO DO THE DRIFT FROM RINGER ROAD, TO UMTANUM... EVERYONE HAS FAVORITE SPOTS AND THAT SECTION HAS MINE. THE ONLY THING I LIKE ABOUT WHORLEY IS THE FACT THEY DONT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE. THEY FOLLOW YOU TO THE PULLOUT AND DRIVE YOU BACK. I KNOW THAT SOUNDS A LITTLE CHILDISH, BUT I'D HATE TO HAVE MY TRUCK GET WIPED OUT AND NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT. BUT WHAT DO I DO WITH MY STUFF AT THE PUT IN LOCATION, CHAIN IT TO A TREE ?????

7. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

"BUT I'D HATE TO HAVE MY TRUCK GET WIPED OUT AND NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT." Couldn't the same thing happen once you've left your truck at the pull out. Doesn't matter if you park it or they park it. It's there unattended until you get back there. I'd trust Steve wholeheartedly!

Just my opinion!

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

8. YAKIMA

I guess i should have said while they drove it down....

9. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Steve and his crew are definitely a class act. I’m sure glad they were the ones that took over after Red. I would use Red’s if you were planning to float the canyon sections. I will usually only use the Evening Hatch if I float the upper sections of the Yak. I actually look at their powerhour fishing report every day.

10. YAKIMA

So I could swing in there in the morning, pay my fee, go back to ringer road, put in, and tell them i would like my truck at umtanum no later than a time I decide ???? They lock the spare key I give them in the truck? This is Reds in the middle of the canyon, where they have the campsites, right ? Thanks for putting up with me.

11. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

That will do it!! If you're going there this week, see Rod. Steve's in B.C. steelhead fishing.

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

12. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

That is the place. I think it is $20 from Ringer to Red's so it will probably be @ $18 or so for that shuttle. I may hit the Yakima again this weekend, but I usually float the upper river at this time of year. Let us know how you do!!

13. YAKIMA

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it... Fishing that river for almost 25 years with a fly rod, this will be the first time I have ever drifted it. I have a green outcast pac1000 and a new chevy tahoe. Wont be over there this weekend, but next weekend for sure. Although probably wading it as my boys are talking about meeting me over there. BUT ONE DAY I WILL GET THAT BLASTED THING IN THAT RIVER !!!!

14. andrew

andrew Active Member

I have a question based upon Greg's, are there any shuttle services that do the Skagit or Stilly? I hate to give you all this "line", but am new to this whole gig (state, floating down a river, flyfishing!)! The last float trip down the "Stilly" I found myself bicycling 5 miles in 75 degree heat with my waders on due to forgetting my shoes in the car! Got to be a better way!

Thanks for the info!

15. Luv2Spey

Luv2Spey Member

>are there any shuttle services that
    >do the Skagit or Stilly?

Clark's Skagit River Resort offers a river and trailhead shuttle service. I have never used them, but I happened to pick up their card yesterday.

I know nothing else about them, but if you want to learn more (e.g., prices, how they operate, etc.,) you can call them at 1-360-873-2250. They are located at milepost 103 just west of Marblemount.

Cheers,

Michael
    P.S. I, too, would like to know if a shuttle service exists for the Stilly?

16. Bart

Bart New Member

I don't know about shuttle services on the Skagit or Stilly, but I'd be glad to meet on the river and shuttle each other's boats. That's the main problem on rivers. Bart

17. Joe

Joe Member

If anyone wants to meet and shuttle to float the Stilly, let me know.

Joe

18. Dave Westburg

Dave Westburg Member

Rills in Thorp runs a shuttle service on the upper Yakima. They have a takeout just outside of Thorp. You leave your can there and they will drive you and your raft up to the Teanaway confluence. This is 10-12 river miles and a very full day's drift. The phone number is 509-964-2520. You can also rent rafts from them for about $75/day for a 12 foot raft with rowing platform. They'll even make sack lunches. Have used their services approximately 15 times over the past four years and recommend them highly.