Siletz River Oregon

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Denny Wagenman, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Denny Wagenman

Denny Wagenman Active Member

I plan on being on the Oregon coast for a few days in September. Will be staying near the Siletz River, I have been looking up information on the net and not to much available. Anyone fished the river and have any info for me such of access, type of fishery.

2. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    Not sure about access as I've never fished the Siletz. It does get a decent shot of summer steel and perhaps some of those will still be available. If it's like the rest of the rivers on the north coast I'd imagine that fall salmon will be the main attraction in sept. I've never fished the jetty in Newport (I do fish the tillamook jetties alot though) but that would always be an option also.

3. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Sept. is perfect time for summer steelhead and SRC. Moonshine Park on up into the gorge has plenty of access (on weekends only though). I suppose you could mt. bike on past the gate; you'll see access signage just past Moonshine Park. It's not a big stream up there. Careful...the rocks are polished slick as snot...would not recommend studs, felt yes. Salmon will be spawning in the tailouts...watch your wading steps.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Denny, there's a very good reason you can't find much in regards to the Siletz on The Internet. Those of us who fly fish it for steelhead and SRC try to keep it on the down low. It is one of very few steelhead rivers in Oregon where you can catch a steelhead every single month of the year with a fly... and some guys have.

So... the Siletz does not exist. Never has. Never will.

Seriously, where are you staying? The river is very, very long and has many sections with good access for SRC and steelhead. Some places are popular but as is the norm, if you don't mind hiking/wading up or downstream from the usual spots, you'll find complete solitude and the fish swim up the full length of the river so they can be anywhere.

5. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

"So... the Siletz does not exist. Never has. Never will."

What he ^^^^ said!!

6. Robert Easterday

Robert Easterday Member

Just follow an empty log truck.