Silicone treatment for fly lines

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Toney, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Toney

Toney My other car is a fly rod.

Home Page:
    Has anyone use permanent silicone sprays for fly lines? I'm thinking of Hareline's Watershed or one of the outdoor silicone sprays that require 24 cure time. I figure that if they work OK (and don't harm) things like poly clothing, flies, leather, CDC, then they should be OK for fly lines, too. Also, for a fly line, are these treatments indeed permanent? Currently, I'm running some tests on outdoor silicone sprays on sections of old fly line that I cut up, using a test pool, but was wondering what other people's experience is.

Thanks,

2. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I use the Sci-Ang. Kit. It works for me. I only dress the first 40 feet. Fishing small streams you don't lay out much line. And as for coiling line, I don't have that problem.

4. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for the link.

I have a couple lines that need cleaned.

I have a bottle of SA conditioner rolling around somewhere, gonna have to find and NOT use ArmorAll.

5. jwg

jwg Active Member

As a chemist, and with an interest in fly lines, here is my take.

Many of todays fly lines come with very advanced permanent surface coatings. I would not put another permanent surface coating on top, which is likely to be of lesser sophistication and quality.

Fly lines do need to be cleaned.

If you want to dress after cleaning, I think a conventional fly line dressing that is not permanent is better. it creates a barrier between dirt and the line, and because it comes off, it will help you get the dirt off with it in the next cleaning. Think of natural self cleaning systems for comparison, like skin that continually sloughs off, or fish slime the is steadily renewed. A conventional dressing that can be wiped off and renewed will give you a cleaner line more consistently.

Thats how I think about it and treat my older PVC lines, wiping them with pads that have a silicon paste in them.

as always, read the fly line manufacturers guidance if any is available.

Airflo (which makes polyurethane lines) says the following, with no suggestion of using a fly line dressing:

To clean your Airflo line, mix a small amount of household detergent with warm (not boiling) water in a bowl or sink. Strip the line from your reel into the water and allow to the line to soak for 2-3 minutes - this will loosen any dirt and clean any algae build-up from the surface. Then dry off the line by winding the line back onto the reel through a clean dry cloth. Do not put too much pressure on the line, as the heat generated in the cloth can distort a flyline, also, if you put the line onto the reel under too much tension then this will cause reel set or memory.

Tips on the Orvis site (Orvis sells PVC lines) says the following, and again, does not suggest a dressing:

Clean your lines frequently. The process typically takes less than five minutes. I recommend Orvis Zip Juice Wonderline Cleaner, made specifically for the super slick coating on Wonderline Advantage lines. If Zip Juice is not available, use mild soap and water. Clean more frequently if you fish ‘dirty’ water - stillwater or moving water with lots of organic material.

Rio (Rio sells PVC lines) recommends a dressing after cleaning:

we make most of our fly lines hydrophobic - they repel water. After wiping the line clean, apply a light coating of a fly line dressing. This will help to re-lubricate the line and gives the fly line a slick and clean finish.
    RIO's AgentX Fly Line Dressing has been specially formulated for this, and is highly recommended for all modern fly lines

I would only use RIOs dressing on PVC lines.

Maybe some industry experts could chime in.

Jay

6. Toney

Toney My other car is a fly rod.

Home Page:
    All interesting replies. I think I'll back off from my plan to put a permanent silicone treatment on and stick with the streamside solutions of wiping down with silicone paste on a cloth