Silk Dubbing

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by David Prutsman, Apr 9, 2013.

1. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Ratings: +25 / 0
  2. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    I've tried the Kreinik silk dubbing. It's very nice for dressing small dry flies, or mixing with natural dubbing for added colors. It's possible to dub some amazingly thin bodies with it.

I'd like to try the Larva Lace as it's a bit less expensive.
  3. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Ron,

Sounds like silk dubbing has some positive aspects, I am definitely going to give it a shot.

On another note, I made a trip home last year from Colorado and was broken hearted you closed the shop. I was looking forward to hanging in back, having a beer and shooting the shit. You promoted such a great atmosphere inside that little building. I hope you are happy and well, however; wishing you luck with whatever your next venture brings you. Oh, and lots of time on the water!
  4. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Dave, I think you have me confused with someone else. I've never opened a shop, much less closed one. Try that silk dubbing, I think you'll like the effects.
  5. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Hmm...Well, if you ever do open a shop, I'll come have a beer with ya :) Thanks for the input on the dubbing.
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,556 / 0
    Great... that's all I need... more dubbing -- I never run out of the stuff I have now. But I gotta try the silk ... it's the flytyer's code to continually buy new products.
  7. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    I have not used commercial silk dubbing but I have made my own. About a month ago I wanted to tie a small pattern with a clipped hackle body and an orange hot spot thorax. A William Blades pattern. I couldn't find the right color orange in my stash of hackles but I did have some flat silk embroidery floss that was just right. I brushed the floss to seperate the fibers and chopped it into short lengths (between 3/16" - 3/8"). Put it in a jar of water, shake and pour out on a fine screen to dry.

Voila! Silk dubbing in the color I wanted.

TC
  8. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Tim,

I never would have thought about doing that...
  9. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    Well I hadn't either until the need arose. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that. It worked quite well.
    About a week later I found out I did have the right color hackle. I just didn't dig deep enough though my boxes to find it.

TC