FS silk fly line - free to good home

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Jeff Dodd, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +388 / 0
    I pulled this silk line off a Pflueger Medalist 1494 Akron O reel if this helps guess at age.

The forward end is in good condition, like new, but the tighter wraps around the arbor have problems. The varnish was sticking as I removed the line and it has pulled chunks off in many places along the back half of the line.

If this line is of interest to you, let me know and I will gladly hand it off to you for a project or experiment.

If its garbage, please let me know and I will toss it. Just could not bring myself to dump it unless nobody wanted it.

Thanks!
    Jeff

IMG_20130624_195238_567.jpg
  2. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +62 / 1
    I will take it, if you still have it. Thanks John
  3. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Great John. I will send the line to you this week.

Jeff
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,030 / 1
    Jeff, it's nice you posted a picture. That's the type of line I used when I started fly fishing.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  5. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    That is what I started with too, take it of the reel to dry every time you fished and then treat it before you fished the next day. Then the gut leaders that you had to keep damp all the time.:eek:
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  6. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Can lines like this be repaired once the varnish peels like the line pictured above?
  7. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    You can treat them but with all those missing pieces it will never be the same as it was. Depending how much good line there is I would just treat the damaged parts with a good floatant and use the good part. You might have to go to a lighter rod than the line was intended for.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.