Silver Creek, ID with XXX Material!!!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by obiwankanobi, Jul 12, 2007.

1. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Last summer, I had the great opportunity to fish Silver Creek from Memorial Day and long into the week after. The weather was great like it usually is, with a few sporadic thunderstorm's throughout the week. The creek was unusually barren of aquatic plant life, just a gin flowing stream over sandy gravel.

The usual host of people were there all keyed in on the PMD, Baetis and Green Drake hatches that are well known during this time of the year. I too, the year before was a dry fly fool, casting every surface and sub-surface pattern I had. That year, I learned a valuable lesson. The "sharks" in this stream want little to do with your #18 "whatever" and are very keyed in on the 8-12" bow that you have on the end of your line. I watched numerous of browns that earlier summer, strip the fish off the end of my line. I rigged up with 3X flourocarbon and tied on a 3" big ugly that I was confident would work.

Where I was fishing, was a nice elbow in the creek that made for a great pool about a 45 degree angle below me. This pool held about 6-8 bows and I managed to have two 15"-18" fish out of that spot. These fish, on this creek, would be most anglers "trip" makers, but I knew there was much more to be found.

Below this elbow bend the creek split apart, separated by a island. The main body of the creek flowed on the left, but on the right side of this creek, a very deep hole was present with woody debris and a large root ball. This formed a very nice undercut bank that could only be the lair suited only for a king.

Many of dry fly fisherman would not notice this deep pocket, or if they did notice it, they would immediately refrain from casting there, due to the ever present danger of getting tangled in the woody tentacles that penetrated into the water. I knew something lurked there and I could feel the excitement in my body before I presented my first cast.

I shot my first cast about 5 feet beyond and about 10 feet across from this hole, so that my fly could swing just perfectly near this hole. A few strips and my body pusling with excitement, I saw a shadow form that was not there before. I stripped in and this lurking shadow did not follow.

I shot a second cast further downstream, so that my heavily weighted streamer could be deep enough in the water column and swim at the level of this beastly intruder. My fly proceeded to swing as I vigorously stripped 6"-8" increments of line only to pause where I thought he might be. One quick strip followed and before I could clinch on the cork of my rod hard enough a golden flash gleamed from the darkness.

Ernest Hemingway was a great author in this valley and I just lived one chapter in a book.

[​IMG]

2. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Very cool, nice fish!

3. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Damn, that's a beauty!
    I've fished Silver only in late September/early October. It's prime blue-winged olive time, but there are a few spots on the Preserve where you can find some of those nasty sharks staging. Makes for some real heart-stopping action...

4. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

beauty of a fish!

5. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

It is a healthy fish! good work!

6. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Great fish, nice story... Why the photoshoped picture though? Aside from the poor PS job, the reflection in your glasses gives you away.

7. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Thanks all!!!....It was my early PS day's and probably a few drags of scotch went into touching up this photo.

8. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Pretty fish! (PS'd or not!)