Silver Lake

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Jim Riggins, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Jim Riggins

Jim Riggins Member

Taking my group to Silver Lake in late March, any locations or tips? thanks in advance. the hell with the rest of you!

2. Chef

Chef New Member

Jim: Sorry for the hijack of the thread but I have a question for you: When you take your crew out, you go on the lake? boat? or????? I wanted to do something similiar to what you are doing but for my culinary students but just not sure yet.

3. wet line

wet line New Member

Jim,

Early spring when water temps are still down I generally concentrate on shallows with prefferably some weed growth or other cover. If possible I like to fish near any inlet streams or protected coves.
    It seems as if the afternoon is generally more productive if it is a sunny day and the surface waters have had a chance to warm a bit.

Fishing the shallows, less than 10 feet, I quite often rig up a floating line with a 9 foot leader and fish small pheasant tails, princes or scuds on the sink with a very slow retrieve up through the water column. I have never felt a need to fish with an indicator doing this and a long cast is not needed. You could add some weight but I don't do that either as I preffer the slow sinking of the fly to the bottom.

Dave

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Look for the areas that get the earliest and longest exposure to the sun.