Simms guide boot studs

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Brett Bates, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Brett Bates

Brett Bates Member

So after an amazing pair of Simms guide boots with felt and corks they discontinued them and I had to go with korkers. The boots fell apart on my feet and the boa system was crap. Finally I got a new pair of Simms guide boots felt. I am having to install new studs myself in this pair and was curious if anyone had worked with different stud patterns. I have a set of the hard bites and of the star cleats. I just don't want to install to many studs and loose traction.

2. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    I like putting them around the edges. Three or four around the back edge of the heal, rest around the front edge. With 10 studs per boot I can stand flat footed without standing on any of the studs. They only come into play when standing on a slope. Like when my foot starts to slip off of a rock. You don't want or need any under the ball or mid heel. It's uncomfortable and if your standing flat footed you not slipping.

3. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
  4. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Try the "X" pattern, in the middle of the boot where the arch of your foot would be. I have found that to be the best spot for studs.

By the way, you can go to the hardware store and get 10 hex-head sheet metal screws, for pennies - compared to the ones Simms sells. They work just as well, and last forever in the placement I mentioned above.

P.S. Nice link Dave, thanks for sharing!

5. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

Dave(s)- great suggestions on patterns and where to get studs!

I second Dave K's advice on studs under your arch especially if you fish during the wet season around downed timber without bark. I would recommend throwing a couple screws under there to anybody that fishes the wetside whether or not you run a full pattern or just plain old felt and rubber.

6. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

I'm curious about what model Korkers fell apart? I've been using a pair for years with no issues. Lasted longer than any other boot I've had so far. Love the boa system too. And no, I don't work for them or sell them or anything else. Just curious as I'm considering an upgrade to a newer pair with the newer tread design.

7. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    Before you install those hard bites, return them. The aluminum bites are FAR SUPERIOR. I have tried both as well as various other home depot substitutes. THE ALUMINUM IS AWESOME. It locks you on to the rocks, might even be better than felt. I'll never go back. I looked at getting aluminum screws from home depot but could never find them. I hear the patagonia boots with the aluminum bars are even more imressive (some reviewers say they are too good and are getting into some pretty precarious spots they could never access before), which may mean buying another set of coke can spikes for my boots. Just my 2 cents.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Curious, are you talking about the hardbite studs, or the triangular hardbites?

9. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
  10. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    No, I meant which hardbites did you try. Or did you try both of the "non aluminum" hardbites? They have just the one that looks like bolt with hardbite material on the top, and they have the triangular hardbite cleats that has a screw you thread through the middle.

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
  12. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Only reason I ask, I've used both, and the top triangular has worked flawlessly for me in a variety of conditions so far (haven't used them in frozen conditions yet).

13. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    I've used the star hard bites as well as various lowes/home depot options. Aluminum wins.

14. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I don't know the cleat lingo but....I tried the Simms carbide topped screws when they first came out and they were a big plus over the steel screw that came in my Chota boots. Then I went to the Patagonia river walker felts with the carbide studs and they were better. I looked at the Patagonia bars but had conflicting stories on the sturdyness of the boot, although they all said the grip was good. Gotta good buy on some Patagonia river walker felts and installed some Simms aluminum cleats, I think they are the best so far, but don't have many miles on them. I've heard that you need to keep tightening the screws but haven't had problems yet with the aluminum cleats. There is no doubt that aluminum gives the best grip. I've had some slip over "Stream cleats" in the past and they were great! Over here on the coast, you really don't need anything and felts are fine, but don't go to the Thompson.....