Simms Rivershed Boot

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gobstopper, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Gobstopper

Gobstopper New Member

Anybody have experience with the simms rivershed wading boot? I have purchased one pair of redington rubber soled boots in the past and was very disappointed with the lack of traction. Most reviews I have read are positive.

2. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Not sure about the actual boot, but I will say this: If you were having trouble with your last rubber sole boots, this one will be no different.

There are two types of people: Those who love/like/whatever rubber soled boots, and those who could do without them.

Sounds to me like you're a felt sole guy, like me. I tried 2 different rubber soles, went back to felt.

Again, going from one rubber sole boot to another, isn't going to change that.

Gobstopper likes this.
  3. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    I have a different take on this subject. Redington boots are not vibram soled, Simms are - while this might not seem like a big distinction, all my experiences with the "sticky rubber" (Simms l2, with 510 soles) have left me wanting more traction. Simms vibram soles have significantly more traction than the old l2's, and with the addition of a few studs are pretty damn grippy soles.

With respect to the previous poster, just a differing point of view - other folks have and will experience different results.

4. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    I had a pair of Simms with vibrams. They were good when new (they did great on the N.Umpqua sans studs), but I put a lot of miles on my boots and within 5 months they were my Simms 'River Skates'. The tread was entirely gone. Studs helped, but eventually, I got sick of them and got the same boots in felt.

The boots themselves are phenomenally built--on par with the mountaineering boots I have, and at 1/4 the cost.

5. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

There in lies the rub. I think it may depend on the river(s) you fish as well.

Take the Spokane river for instance. I'm pretty sure an army tank would slip and fall over in that river.

6. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

It has been explained to me a couple times by people who use them. They work about as well as felt boots that are worn down pretty good. They all said they added the studs. I think they would be great for a boat boot were you are not wading and hiking a great deal with the added bonus of not scraping up your buddies boat or raft with studs.

7. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

No matter what wading boot I'm wearing if its rubber soled I am slip sliding my way around trying not to get soaked all day. I usually end up going down at least once. I try to use felt as much as possible but I do own some rubber soles with studs. I've been intrigued by the boots with the bars across the bottom that Patagonia came out with. Anyways I haven't found a pair of rubber soles that aren't slippery.

"Only when the last tree has been felled, the last river poisoned and the last fish caught, man will know that he cannot eat money."

8. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:

I use the Patagonia boots with the aluminum bars and they're great for wading. The one shortfall is on smooth dry rocks where they are far more slick than other boots.

9. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Studs+boats= no bueno!