Single/Double hand rods

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by SGM SER, Aug 30, 2013.

1. SGM SER

SGM SER New Member

I will be hitting up the Olympic Peninsula this spring. I am a novice steelheader (2 under my belt) and only drift fished (rod/reel) previously for steelies. I am new to the single/double hand rod idea. If I can get some pros/cons and recommendations to help assist it would be greatly appreaciated. Also, if you could give recommendations of brand and where to purchase, that would be excellent.

Thanks
    SER

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    People will really expand upon this. I go by two theories on the rods. Two handers=great for wading and riverside work, but crappy in boats. One handers=traditional rods, limited on banks, but awesome in boats. You banking it or boating it? I usually have both, though I don't use the two handers as much as I probably should (I'm old fashioned when it comes to using rods lol). So use my single handers mostly.

Recommendations on rods really depends on what your budget is. Where are you located? By your name I'd like to say JBLM/near the base, but that's not always the case if you're retired. That will help lead you to the right direction which shop to go to.

BTW, are you military? Active duty, retired, etc?

3. SGM SER

SGM SER New Member

Jerry,
    You must know I am a simple minded guy. I like your theories in ref. to two vs one handed rods, this helps, thank you. The guide service has recommended I bring both rod types, so I assume we will be doing both boating and banking, which now makes sense after your explanation. Frankly, I am trying to get away with purchasing one style rod but I understand the utility of having both.

I am currently in Afghanistan, still AD, stationed at JBLM. I moved out in the Gig Harbor area out on the KPN a year ago.

Help me out on the CH acronym...I can't seem to crack the code on that one.

SER

4. Get a switch rod

5. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Here's the best advice you're going to get. As soon as you get home on leave, or finish up your deployment, head straight to Puget Sound Fly Company near base, or Gig Harbor Fly Shop near home. Either shop will get you all set up, and make sure you've got an idea of how to use what you've purchased. Puget Sound will gladly ship, but doesn't have a web store yet. Gig Harbor has a web store. Great/helpful/knowledgeable guys at both shops.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

6. SGM SER

SGM SER New Member

Steve,

Sounds good, thanks.
    SER

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    SGM, check your PM's aka conversation before you do anything.

Kcahill likes this.
  8. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Jerry gave good advise on boat vs wade. Also what rivers (type of rives) will you fish. PMW anglers developed Skagit style casting/lines because they had little room to back cast due to brush and trees at the banks. For smaller rivers a single handed rod is fine and maybe better than a two hander. If you fish much on a medium to large river from the bank a switch or spey rod really is the way to go. Casting a 7 or 8wt rod all day will wear out the best of us and after a few days in a row it is work. A two handed rod is much easier on the body, especially for longer casts and sink tip/large winter fly work. Salmon and steelhead fishing is a lot of casting practice and a little catching. Two handed rods are really fun to cast. Also one more thing to consider, two handed rods are rated differently than single handed rods. A 5/6wt two hand rod would be more like a 8wt single handed rod, a 7/8wt would be a 10wt.

9. two handers if you have to fish medium to large rivers, if you fish something like the walla walla river and has alot of pocket water you will look like a retard as your shooting head will be the entire length of the river. i know from expirience

10. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    Guides usually have full compliment of rods, rigged & ready to go. Most times they prefer you to use their gear. Being totally familier with it and rigged backing to tippit knot by them they know exactely what to expect. A huge occupational asset.

If you have a day or two booked I'd take advantage and utilize their gear. The direction you want to go will be a lot clearer after the fact.

Best of luck

underachiever and John Hicks like this.