Single Foot vs. Snake

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by bengal31, Feb 22, 2008.

1. bengal31

bengal31 New Member

My question as its been asked before I'm sure is do you think the benefits of weight provided from single foot guides outways the lower durability factor?
    Is there other benefits that I'm overlooking?

I've made three rods with single foot guides but am starting to question if they are that beneficial.

2. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I've made rods both ways, and I seem to be doing more of the snake guides now. I find they are easier to work with and adjust. I don't know how much of an advantage the single foot guides are, and it would be impossible to know without wrapping 2 identical rods and trying them side by side. Theoretically, the single foot would be a bit lighter and more responsive, but would we really notice the difference? I would think not, but maybe some one has tried that experiment.

Wayne

3. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

ive got the chance to use almost identical sages one with single foots and the other with snakes.

i can say i never did notice a difference in casting distance. but the single foots did feel a bit smoother. BUT the lines were not the same so that was more then likely what i was feeling.

personly i think its more for looks then anything. and they really are not that much lighter. and i dout anyone would be able to feel the difference

4. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

I think this is really a matter of preference more than advantages/disadvantages. I have weighed several different makes of guides and have found the weight difference between snakes and single foot is negligible due to the single foot being folded back. The only weight savings I can see is less thread and I also consider that to be insignificant, but that is just a personal viewpoint. Some think it is important but perhaps I'm not a good enough caster to tell the difference in the action?? I have both on different rods of the same make and weight and find both are good. I used single foots on a 9ft 9wt for Mexico this last year and it performed without any glitches at all, getting a 125+ lb tarpon into the leader three times before I finally broke him off. Hint: Remember that when the guide says let's go for the big ones and describes big ones as 40-60 he means kilos, not pounds. Didn't even have the 12 wt in the boat dummy that I am.

5. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    I have found that snake foot guide will make a blank much faster than the single foot guides...I only say this in that if you find a blank that is a little slow, I would reccomend them. I have also cut the snake foot guides off a rod that they ruined the action on, going to a single foot guide.....

My two cents

Earl