single hand scandi awesomeness

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Pat Lat, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Skagit head will be next, but it probably won't see much use unless flows are higher than expected. Wait scratch that and reverse it, the Skagit head will likely see more use due to high off color flows because this is Washington. I still really love the grace of the scandi line and after a few thousand more casts I will probably get fed up and throw on something a bit chunkier

2. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Media:
    pat whats your view on tips vs poly leaders w/ this kind of casting

3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Poly leaders are nice and light I really only like the floating and intermediate for spey casting on the scandi or ambush, and they're cheap. The floating one also sticks better than tapered mono. I used them for src poppers.But really I didn't have much luck with a full sink tip of any kind.
    The tips I spliced together cast nicely and drop quickly, but since they're kinda light I was having to step, stack mend or drop a loop to keep them down,which I am ok with. I like waiting till just the right moments when the fly passes a boulder to drop a loop. And the imow style tips will do that for me so I can be happy for a while

4. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    The Power fly line from Rio would be really easy to learn this style of casting with. This single hand stuff is what I taught back when I was guiding. It's a super tool to have at your disposal.

5. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    I looked at that one while skimming through the specialty lines. Do you think the longer head would help setting anchors? the one problem I had at first was getting the line to stick just right.
    I would think someone would have an easier time getting the feel for it, so a good begginer line like you were saying, but once you start shooting more line the longer head might be an issue. I love that gripshooter line...zing.

6. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've always loved the Ambush for that style of fishing. I've tried a little bit with another line similar to Ambush (Rio Pike/Musky-check out the taper), but ~30' head and found it to be less versatile for swinging flies (great nymphing though) but works great for throwing skaters, but I'm just going to be swinging, I'll use the Ambush because it's easier to throw light tips on it (I like it with 8.5' of T-8 or T-11).

Pat, from the look of your video, you're having zero issues setting your anchor and letting that line fly...

7. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Thanks Randall, I also looked at the musky taper for beach salmon fishing because of the ability to turn over pretty much anything. Ended up stickinng with the wulff. Its just too easy for blind casting all day, and that ease of use translates when the sun goes down for truely blind fishing at night. I also was a little Ieary as the warmwater coating might be a little stiff in our conditions.

8. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    That is a short head on the Power Fly. It is like 40' to the running line. That is the same length as the old peach colored head they used to sell (maybe still do) and attach to the flat mono.

If you don't have at least 10-15 feet on the water you will blow your anchors a lot if you are loading hard enough to shoot.

My favorite line to cast with this style is the Airflo Ridge. It doesn't take much effort to air the entire thing out with my 10'6", 5/6 RST, and shoot it 20 -30 feet. I only use that line on lakes though because the ridges really bite into moving water and make mending more work than it needs to be.

9. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Hmm 40' seems a little long for me. That would have to be a pretty big d loop to only leave 15'of line one the water plus the tip. But I haven't cast the line so ill have to take your word for it. But when I slowed down my video and looked at the frame by frame it looked like I had just a few feet of head on the water and the intermediate part of the tip was doing most of the sticking, so I might try the airflo scandi short at around 30' eventually and see if it works out.
    Thanks Jeremy

10. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    To give you an idea on the size of a the D loop;

I use the AFS scandi a lot. the 300 grain one works great on a fast action 8 wt single hand rod. When I one hand cast them I never pull any of the head inside the rod because I hate to jam the loop to loop connecter into a guide. 42-43 feet of head, plus 15 feet of leader. When I get done creating the D loop and begin my forward motion, I am usually standing within 3-5 feet of the connection between the head and the leader. That means that my D loop is 30+ feet of line. Having that much line out of the water when you begin your forward motion reduces energy loss and allows you to get more cast for less effort. Especially if your anchor placement is good and you are casting straight over the top of it. Because of the size of the D loop I throw, I struggle going for distance with the scandi, when I don't have a fairly clear bank or the ability to wade out far enough to get a good loop built up behind me. In those situations I would use the Rage Compact instead of the scandi.

golfman44 and Pat Lat like this.
  11. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    That makes sense. This summer for salmon I know that with a switch cast where I was trying for distance I was blowing my anchor a lot due to the head being too short as i opened my d loop a bit with the ambush so I stopped trying to spey cast it for distance and just used it to place the line straight for a water haul cast. Which is what worked the best for me to cut through the wind.
    I think if I start to fish bigger water with a bit more space I will definitely look at a longer head.
    What did you like best for a shooting line? And were you able to throw tips effectively with the scandi head?

12. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    I throw tips with a skagit, poly leaders with a scandi, I like the ridge running line from Airflo best.

13. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Gotcha, thanks for all the great info jeremy, I guess you can help out after all:)

14. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    I've also looked at the intermediate wulff for beach fishing but I was never a huge fan of mono core lines. I had a streamer tip with the floater/clear int tip and the running line was hard to get streched out. Then once I did get it stretched out the floating coating started to crack.
    Ha, I'm a poet and I didn't even know that I was one.