single handed vs double handed...

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by francis james hunnycut, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +520 / 0
    You don't need to spend 6 hundy.

My smaller set up is still an 11'6" forecast that I rolled with a medalist real and an appropriate multi tip line. 300 dollars or so total. It works fine both summer and winter.

There is always the classified section here as well. Quite often there are some stellar deals. There aren't too many bad rods made any more, just ones that are incorrectly lined.

Best of luck.

Go Red Sox,
    cds
  2. troutpounder Active Member

everett
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    I agree with the spey rod and made the same mistake with the switch!
  3. francis james hunnycut Redneck Hippie

bothell
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I really appreciate all the fantastic information, guys. Thank you all.
  4. WA-Fly Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    A switch rod is a shorter spey rod that it designed for you to both single hand over head cast and do traditional spey casts
  5. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    And a lot of gas money!
  6. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Ratings: +216 / 0
    And a dog, you really need a dog!!!!
    And a dog, you have to have a dog!!!!
  7. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +639 / 0
    You have better karma with a empty wallet
  8. kmac Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    I'm still a bit of a newbie, but I learned the hard way that using an 8 wt single hand rod and overhand casting for 4 hours will give me a really bad case of tennis elbow that took weeks to go away. Since then I use overhand casts on that rod rarely and instead have gone to a roll cast (much easier on the arm). Someday I think I'll go with a spey rod, but as I'm only 2 years into this sport I'll save that purchase for another year.
  9. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,566 / 0
    Kmac,

I don't know what your casting skill level is, but I have a propensity for tennis elbow. Good casting form and a medium to medium-fast action rod allow me to cast all day with no elbow issues. Casting lessons are a better $$ investment than a high end rod.

Sg
  10. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    <--that
  11. francis james hunnycut Redneck Hippie

bothell
    i can cast all day using my single handed. I am a tall guy with long arms and I am learning to use that to my advantage. i do like the idea of not needing room behind you, but I tell you what, I enjoy casting, and using the double haul I can blast that sucker out there pretty good. When the wind isnt blowing upriver on me I can usually get it out there with just 3 false casts. I used to need 5 or 6. I do hate it when the wind is blowing up the river and false casts bring that bug awful close to my face...I dont want to look like my little brother with all kinds of piercings in his face. ( i started calling him tackle-box) some of those steelhead flies are pretty, but I don't like to over-accessorize..lol
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    FJH,

Answer yourself this question: Why do you false cast more than once? You won't find that steelhead in the air, let alone the trees. Is it squirrels you're really after?

Sg
  13. francis james hunnycut Redneck Hippie

bothell
  14. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +639 / 0
    With the present state of steelhead in the S-rivers, Squirrel fishing would be more productive. Does anybody have a peanut fly pattern that they wish to share?
    Davy and francis james hunnycut like this.
  15. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    FJH,

I'm not trolling. You'd know that if you've been reading my mostly informative and educational posts. The squirrel reference was joking, but making multiple false casts wastes energy and valuable fishing time. When I fish a single hand rod for steelhead I make one, occasionally two if really needed, false cast. That's why I mentioned this to you. Believe it or not, it matters over the course of a day's fishing.

Just as several of us described earlier in this thread, an advantage of fishing a two handed rod for steelhead is that the fly spends more minutes per hour in the water, fishing. There is a strategy in all this. Minimize your false casting unless you're trying to dry out a soggy dry fly.

Sg