Sinking Leaders

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I might be old---but I'm good.

I'm looking for some kind of an answer on the use of sinking leaders. Has anybody tried them. I did once but it was on a lake. Looking for input on using them on streams/rivers. I went out and bought one but have yet to try it out.

Stumpfisher,I probably will know what you answer will be. So don't answer :TONGUE

I have asked this before but on another site and didn't get any answers. And since this is such a good site I know that one or two of you will have a answer for me. :BLUSH

Jim S.

2. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    Sorry Jim,

I have one but have never used it. Can't figure out what to use it for. I can't figure out why I could,'t just tie my flies a little heavier or something. I am curious what people will say.

T

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    They work great for unweighted nymphs to get them down faster. Also, you don't have the surface tension holding your leader on the surface and preventing a light fly from sinking.

4. guest

guest Guest

Na na nana na! Okay I won't...

So I went to another forum site and lo and behold someone else started a thread on this subject. And I participated. :TONGUE

stumpfisher

5. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

I have no idea why they even call them sinking leaders?? All leaders sink slowly once you break the surface tension. If your having problems with surface tension and wanting to sink your leader you can carry a little plastic jug of Detergent and wipe some on your leader. It bonds and breaks surface tension so the leader sinks. Sinking leaders as a substitute for getting down fast with weighted flies is one poor solution. They just don't sink near as fast as a weighted fly or a leader with a split on it.

I can't see they would have any usefullness at all on the streams. Generally you will have to use some lead or weighted flies to get into the strike zone on most streams.

6. dlw

dlw New Member

I just got a rio 7ft 6ips sinking leader, and have tested on both on lakes and rivers. It sinks like a rock, much faster than any weighted fly I have. For as fast as it sinks though it actually turns over well and presents fairly delicate. The only drawbacks are that the rear sinks faster, so I think it creates a "belly". Fished it once on the river as an added sink portion to my 10' sink tip for my 6 wt. It worked good for swinging wets and gave me a little added depth.
    Haven't used in on my floater yet, but with the tapered tip, I wonder how well it would turn over.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

The one I bought was by Climax. 8'6" long. Tried it out in my back yard and had no problem casting it. Put it in the kids pool it sank like a rock.

Stumpfisher: Went back and put my foot into my mouth again. But what do you expect from an old man. :TONGUE

I also have a 6wt sink tip line and it doesn't sink half as fast as the sink tip leader. It should work out quite well I hope.

Well everybody I want to thank you for all of your input. :THUMBSUP

Jim S.

8. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Something that I have used for years that has many advantages is 2 1/2' of LC 130 leadcore line (the gray plastic coated stuff made by Cortland and often available in saltwater tackle stores more often than fly shops). I use Albright knots to secure Maxima mono of different strengths with perfection loops on the other ends. A steelhead, Dolly Varden, salmon rig would be one foot of 25lb test Maxima with one end attached to the fly line and the other end with a perfection loop connected to six inches of looped 25lb test connected by Albright knot to the lead core followed by one foot of 15lb mono connected to the lead core by Albright knot with another perfection knot to which I loop two feet of 8 or 10lb test with a perfection loop to connect to the fly. For trout I might step the looped tippet down in 6" increments to 6 or 4lb test. With minor adjustments to your timing this can be cast quite succesfully and it sinks like a rock. If I use a heavily weighted fly it sinks uniformly but usually I like the movement of a weight free fly and the bow in the middle doesn't seem to effect the fish. I might add that this is easy to switch from floating line to sink tip with just the leader outside the tip of the fly rod. A 5wt or greater rod handle this well. For deeper faster runs with a 7 or 8wt I just use a longer section of leadcore. This also works well in tide rips in the salt and I suppose it would work well getting your fly down while trolling in the salt or lakes. I'm not saying this is for everyone but it has sure paid off for me.

Randy

One more thing. I have tried sinking leaders by Airflo and once the loop at the tippet end breaks (and it will) you are finished unless you use an Albright knot as above and my tips are very inexpensive.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Thanks, but the one I bought was just to try them out. But this one was made by Climax and not Airflow. When I get a chance to get out again I will try it out and let you all know how it works.

Jim

10. Chris Bailey

Chris Bailey Member

This is intriguing. I had never heard of such a thing. I have heard that fluorocarbon sinks better because of the surface tension issue, but this sounds different. What diameter is the tip of this leader or what lb test? It sounds more like a material for steelhead and such rather than for size 14 unweighted PT nymphs. Thanks.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

When you go to your local fly shop ask them about them(sinking leaders). They are not fluorocarbon. They are a coated leader or something like that. Bought one but have not tried it yet.

Jim

12. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Multi Tips Lines

These "sinking leaders" are the sink tips that comne with the new multi-tip lines, correct? They're not really "leaders" but part of the fly line- the sinking tip part...

13. dlw

dlw New Member

Multi Tips Lines

They are just a normal tapered mono leader, usually between 5-10ft and are coated with the same stuff(I think) that is used on sink tip lines. The coating is tapered with the leader and leaves about 1-2ft of uncoated mono on the end to tie tippet on. Most will also be looped and the butt end.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Multi Tips Lines

Yes. The one I bought has loops on both ends and is for trout fishing,butI doubt if I will use it as such. It should work real well on the end of my 5wt floater. I hope.

Jim