Sinking line selection

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by IveofIone, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Ive,
    I personally don't use my multi-tip line in lakes. I only use it in rivers.
    Getting the loop to loop connection through the rod tip really isn't that bad. Getting it back out is more of a hassle in my opinion.
    For sink tip work, I use the good old 10' integrated tip with a floating running line that have been around for years.

Dave,
    You are right about the Cortland Camo intermediate. It will continue to sink at a pretty good rate. I've got a very old SA intermediate that I've used for years. The first time I fished it I would have sworn it was a floater that had been mis-labeled. It floats for a short while before sinking incredibly slow.
    SF

2. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I know the Cortland Camo intermediate lines are popular, but I'm not as much a fan of them. They can get a lot of memory, and if you like to cast lines (which I do), its gets frustrating untangling them. I prefer the standard full sinking lines, and a line like a Uniform Sink Type II casts better (to me) than the clear intermediate.

So, in order of preference (for me):

(1) Floater
    (2) tie: Type II uniform sink or type III sink tip
    (3) Type III full sink (not uniform sink; in some fishing instances I like the fact the line bellies)

3. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Yes its true that the Cortland Camo can
    be a kinky bitch which is ok.... but not in a fly
    line. I'm just a bit more carefull of how I put it into my
    stripping basket which minimizes the tangles.

Dave

4. Islander

Islander Steve

I don't have any trouble with the loops going through the guided. You definitely know they are there, but they don't create much resistance. As for the nail knots, I use Hard as Nails fingernail polish and form a glob of it in a footbal like shape over the knot. It seems to help.

5. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    My intermediate is the old-school Cortland "ice blue" line. It casts better and sinks slower than the camo. Killer for hand-twist retrieves that need to be in the top 1-3'.

The Rio Aqualux has taken the place of both my type II and III full sink lines. It casts well for a clear line and gets it done in the 6-12' depth range.

My other sinker is a type VI. Great for all the reasons others have mentioned.

6. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I use:
    Floating line, sink tip, medium sinking, and fast sinking line. Depending on what the fish are doing and how deep the lake is. But if you have those four lines you should do well.

Keith

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I just got back from 3 days fishing Henry's Lake in Idaho where three other guys and I had a great time fishing for big, dumb Yellowstone cutts. Although large at 4 x 5 miles, Henry's Lake is shallow with a max depth of just over 20 feet. Since wind is a constant challenge there, most fishing is confined to within a hundred yards or so of shore unless you don't mind being several hours late for dinner after being blown across the lake.

Fishing that close to shore also means dealing with large fields of underwater vegetation. Since all the fish we caught were taken on subsurface patterns, keeping the pattern out of the 'salad' was difficult with a full sinking line, even the slow-sinking clear intermediate that my partners all used.

I brought along a Rio Versa-Tip that saw it's first action on Thursday. The Type III tip and a 7 foot 2x leader was the perfect choice in keeping the fly about 3-4 feet down but yet out of all but the thickest weed beds. Stripping the line in can be a challenge in getting the connector loops through the tip top. The trick is to keep the rod tip submerged and pointed in the same direction as the line. Once it gets through the tip, then it rarely gets hung up on the snake guides.

Most of the fish we took were between 18 and 22" long an 2-3 pounds but one big guy I landed measured 28" and perhaps 7 pounds. Easily the largest trout I'd ever caught, it took some doing to get just his front half into the puny net I was using. But playing him really stretched out the line which made the loop to loop connector even more compact and easier to get through the tip top.

K

8. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Albums:
    Kent -
    I'll have to remember that trick next time I'm out with my versatip. All I have to do is catch a 28", 7 lb fish and the problem will disappear!

I guess with fishing like that you didn't visit the stream I mentioned to you...

Dick

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    That's right - simple, eh?

I was at the mercy of my three hosts so sadly we didn't explore as much as I'd have liked. I could have spent a couple days on the Madison alone.

Sigh.

K

10. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Using a long leader with weighted flies and a slow retrieve can get you pretty deep also.

Keith

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:

12. Casey Hodges

Casey Hodges Member

Great thread.

My current favorite line for stillwater is the Rio Aqualux. Good stuff.