Sit on ToP Kayaks for fishing

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    yeah i dont think this one will be making it out on the sound, probably just be relegated to my little lake and an area of lake Washington that is not far from me that holds some nice smallmouth where I dont have to paddle to far. If I get into it and really enjoy fishing from it I will look at picking up a 12 or 14 footer next fall.
  2. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +601 / 0
    I've been fishing from an Emotion Mojo Angler for about 3 years....12.5', 61 lbs...I love it, comfortable, and stable. Before that I fished out of sit-inside yaks, and found them confining and inconvenient to access gear...and too damn tippy feeling for fishing. With this SOT I can even hang my legs in the water and sit sidesaddle if I want....great secondary flotation. The neat thing about a SOT is not worrying about rough water, waves, or getting swamped...everything just zips out the scupper holes....and you're sitting high and dry, including any gear you store inside the watertight hatches.
  3. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0

Amen, brother. I love all the things you mentioned.
    I am currently considering a nucanoe 12 frontier.......I love the 12 foot kayak I have now....but....there is always the dream of something better.......harder to tip, easier to stand up in, better to rig. There are lots of good choices out there right now, but..............nucanoe is on my radar!!
  4. flyfish4 Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0

I just got the Nucanoe Frontier 12 this summer. I haven't used it much yet but, so far, what I really like about it are: it's a tandem, great stability (my kids have jumped up and down on it and it refuses to tip over), and I can stand up and cast from the deck. What I don't like about it are: it's too heavy (80+ lbs with the seats installed so it's not easy to car top it by myself) and I can't get into a comfortable paddling position with my seats (Captain's Seats).
  5. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0

Holy crap. Really? I would have thought by the photos and videos I've seen (LOTs of those!) that the seating would be primo. Especially compared to standard kayak seating of any kind. 80 pounds is alot but........my little yak is like: 60 plus sooooooooo with a couple of wheels seems like problem solved. Tell you what: Sell me your frontier!
    :)
  6. flyfish4 Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0

Perhaps the seating is not ideal for me because I am wearing a PFD (the Stohlquist Fisherman PFD)
    that has a thicker than average back. This pushes my body forward more than I would like. The seat bottom is comfortable enough.

Yes, the wheels help in transporting it once it's on the ground. The problem I have is actually lifting it onto the roof rack on top of my van / truck with my bad back. Getting it onto the top of a passenger car is a lot easier.
  7. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    flyfish4, you can either change out your seats for some with lower backs, or get a kayak fishing PFD designed with the flotation material on the back positioned higher, so that it clears the top of your seat back.
    My NRS Chinook kayak fishing PFD seems to work well and remain comfortable for paddling (and leaning back in the seat) with both of my kayak seats as well as all of those standard drift boat and pontoon seats (plastic, lightly padded, back folds forward).
  8. Frank R Member

Dearborn, Michigan
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    2012-06-23_19-54-23_410a.jpg
    Yes I have. Here is a shot of the 2HP Honda I have used. I needed this to go up against the current on my local river. I have to use an extension handle and swivel the seat sideways with my feet resting on the gunwhale (try doing that in a regular kayak!). Adjusting the throttle is difficult because it a slide lever on the motor, not a twist-handle type. I usally reach back with my emergency paddle and whack the lever a bit to adjust the lever. The emergency cord is on my wrist if I need to slow quickly.

To reduce the awkwardness a bit I purchased a 55 lb electric motor this summer. The twist handle made changing speeds much easier. I don't know if it will have enough thrust to move me upriver in the spring though.

My plans are to have foot-pedal controlled steering and front-mounted controls for the throttle. I bought a pedal kit but it is not installed yet. Still dialing it in.

I did find that while using the electric motor with the extension handle, that I could stand facing rearward, put the electric motor in reverse (slowly) and drop a drag anchor off the trolley toward the front of the boat (upriver). So I have effectlvely turned it into a one-person drift boat: electric motor pulling me downriver slowly while the anchor slows the drift. With the extension handle at my knees I can easily steer as necessary. I even found the sweet spot where the motor was off center just enough to counter the drag anchor being sligtly off center on the trolley. This kept me going in a straight line with no need for correction. I could then cast where I needed to while standing.

BTW: I bought a PFD from Cabelas that is designed to be worn on a kayak seat. I sit nicely in the folding seat and it does not push me forward.

I avoid the trouble of cartopping. I bought an old Holsclaw trailer for it and added some cross bunks to it. I am thinking of enclosing the entire kayak in a box with a lid. That way I can leave all the equipment and tackle in the kayak and just close and lock the lid. Makes for faster launching and retrieval.
    Bradley Miller likes this.
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Thanks for the pic, Frank. Looks good. The seat on your Frontier 12 is the same style I like and use. When i had my old 13' sq stern aluminum canoe set up with a trolling motor (either 30# or 50# thrust), my seat was close enough to the stern so that a regular extension handle would work great for when I was standing while under power. While seated, I didn't need to use the extension. It was excellent for going upstream. Helped out with steering and maneuvering going downstream, too. Batteries were located in the bow for weight distribution. I had a bow-mounted anchor pulley and an 8# mushroom anchor. Was a very fishable rig.
    I'm looking to set up another similar system, but not with an aluminum hull.

As for now, if I want to take advantage of electric power, I like this mini-drifter set-up:

Attached Files:

10. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +601 / 0
    I don't if this would help but I load our SOT kayaks into the back of my 2007 Toyota Tacoma with the tailgate down (I have a nice ARE canopy top, and simply leave the rear window up if I'm carrying two kayaks).

Both of the kayaks hang out beyond the end of the tailgate about 4 feet, so on each kayak I attach two cam-action cargo straps to the outer nose of each kayak...the other end of the cargo strap to an attachment point at the top of the truck bed sidewall. I pull 'em tight, throw a big bungee across the kayak(s).....and nothings going anywhere, even on a rutted mountain road.

The main point is that lifting a kayak by yourself to truck bed level is pretty easy...just slide them in until they butt up against the cab end of the truck bed. Put a red warning flag on the end of the kayak so some dumbass doesn't impale their radiator on your protruding kayak. Very fast to load and unload.
  11. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +754 / 0
    carrying in the truck bed is way easier than a roof. i use a truck bed extender which makes it even easier.

Truck Bed Extender
  12. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I just read an article over on yakangler.com on the "top ten fishing yaks of 2013" and noticed that Nucanoe now makes the Frontier in a 10' solo model. That looks like something that would fit in the back of a truck.
    Beamy at 38"+ wide, so it won't win any races. But I think one of these might work with a trolling motor.
  13. Chris Bailey Member

seattle, wa, USA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
  14. Frank R Member

Dearborn, Michigan
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Those are fantastic prices; I would snap one up. You will put your own dings in yours in short order anyway.
  15. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    If I was serious about picking up a Frontier right now, I'd be wasting no time checking those out. Most times that you see a used plastic boat up for sale, it is advertised with the caveat, "Has the usual scratches."

Although the 10 footer sounds easier to handle and might be something I'd like to add to a quiver of small craft, if I could only have one plastic yacht, then I'd go for a 12 footer. Generally speaking, I think 12' length is perhaps the best compromise between paddling efficiency, easy handling, and easy transporting in a fishing yak.
    However, you have to balance considerations about the length with weight and width, etc. The Nucanoes are a bit heavy and wide, but are stable and will take a motor.

I was looking forward to Native's recently introduced "Slayer"model in the 13' pedal version ("Propel"), and it looks like something that I would prefer over the Hobie Mirage drive yaks, except that it weighs more than what I am looking for. At 101 lbs, it is going to require a beach cart, and maybe a trailer.
    Krusty likes this.