size of flies?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by kimosabe, Jul 1, 2007.

1. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

Media:
    is mojo some sort of code for smelly jelly? :)

2. mojo

mojo Member

Say WHAT?

3. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

:rofl: Man, I really thought the guy had to be using smelly jelly on the Cowlitz, considering the fly he was hooking those fish on! It was incredible. I won't go into how he landed that chinook on his two wt. rod, either. That's another story...

I have to agree with some of William (Inland) and other's takes. Once these rivers, either west or east side, reach their summer flows, put on a full floater and either a very sparse wet fly or a skater and go have some fun. The flies are a joy to cast and the fish have no problem seeing and grabbing them, it's their job, after all. A few summers ago, a buddy and I hooked three fish in a run on skaters on an east side river--after two drift boats had just pulled plugs through it.

Poppy, I totally agree about those Clearwater fish and their propensity for sparse flies. They seemed to enjoy my very sparse Doc Spratley last time I was there!

There is a certain evolution every fly fisher goes through, I think. In my earlier years of chasing these beasties, it was a numbers game, so I thought I had to go deep to get fish and if I caught only "One" fish in a day, I was disappointed. But now, after years of fishing and many fish to hand, and less time to fish (family obligations) if I can go out and get a fish to come to a skated fly once or twice a season and get some vicious grabs on wet flies in between, I'm a happy man. And it's not just because I hooked these fish, it's because I hooked them on my own terms and brought them to my fly instead of me bringing my fly to them. I derive a lot of pleasure out of catering to the small amount of wildness (not including the B.C. fish!) these fish have left, that's not been bred out of them.

But I know where Tall and Steelie Mike are coming from and I totally get it, because I was there once, too. Especially the part about getting out several times a week! :)

Bottom line, fish by whatever method and whatever fly feeds your soul, because when all is said and done, every one of those fish will forever linger in our memories. Some definitely more than others, to be sure!

CS