skagit county bass

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by EJO, Apr 11, 2010.

1. EJO

EJO Member

I've been a flyfisher for years and with the river closures, and work being busy I have been fishing local lakes in the skagit county area. I can catch trout on lakes no prob but bass seem to be 5 feet away from my best cast. I go to South Carolina every year and fish the ponds around the golf courses and do very well. The problem is, WE DON'T LIVE IN SC.

Does anyone have any tips for me for fishing for bass in the next couple of months. I went out last night on Big Lake with no moon and tried a popper for a bit and woke up early this morning and tried the popper for a few casts and switched to a bead head wooley bugger, and had one little tail nibble along a sunken log (probably a little panfish) .

Have caught many bass on gear growing up, but would rather catch lilly pad on a fly than catch WALTER on a spinner bait.

Anything helps, and always willing to have a beer in between casts.

EJO

2. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

Which species are in the water your fishing? What's the water temp.? How deep are they as it sounds like your seeing them?

3. EJO

EJO Member

There are largemouth, and perch. there used to be crappie but they were killed off several years ago. I do not know the water temp, and the depth was about 4 feet when I got the tug. Saw several swirls, and assumed they were fish feeding close to the surface, but don't know which species

I am trying to figure out where they tend to hang out in several situations. Any info helps. Big Lake is supposed to be a decent fishery for gear fisherman, but always seems hard with a fly.
    I am not restricted to big lake either, just more convenient. like to fish smaller lakes, but I still feel like I am casting blindly.

4. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

Well 4 feet is nothing depth wise so you can reach the bottom with just a float line and some weight. It's too early for much top water action. I would reverse your tactics instead of working from the top down work from the bottom up. I'd used something with enough weight to get to the bottom and stay there. A strong weed guard to keep from get hung up is always nice to have. Those largemouth can chop down with authority and will crush a weed guard made of 100 lb mono. Just look at the heavy weed guards on some of the modern jigs gear guys use. Since your coming up 5' feet short get it out here and do a real slow retrieve with plenty of pause time so they feel they can come to your offering without having to run it down. Largemouth are often sluggish so if your fly is just sitting there they can be more inclined to come take a look.. Colors.... black w/ purple or blue or red.. some flash. Since your seeing some swirls maybe the water is warm even they are in pre-spawn fattening up mode. Try a Murdich Minnow... strip and stop/pause.

Generally you start out slow and deep then speed up and move up the water column as the water warms.

If your seeing some numbers of LM in just 4' of water then they are pre-spawn. Otherwise look for them where those shallower flats drop off to deeper water, just off the flat along the incline.

Some people think bass are always aggressive. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Patience early season can make all the difference. Weather looks like it will warm up plenty by weeks end. That should get those shallow water fish fired up and draw more fish out of deep water! I'll try to put some fly photos up later in the week.

Good Luck

5. Ryan Singh-Cundy

Ryan Singh-Cundy Member

first, put away the poppers until the water temp gets into the mid to high 60's, until the spawn starts i would start off fishing drop offs adjacent to shallow spawning flats with a sinking line and a large nymph or streamer, bitch creek nymphs, wooly buggers and sculpin patterns have all worked for me.

6. EJO

EJO Member

Thanks a lot, I will try that this at the end of the week.

much appreciated

7. NewFlyerAndy

NewFlyerAndy Guest

I used some chenile and made some "senko" style "worms" and have already had some action.Used Krystal flash and Flylipps to make some swimmers and both have produced hits and a few fish. REAL slow dock work and fishing some depth changes. Where I find a 5ft+ change I've had hits.Caught a few in the 2-3lb range. I've been fishing Cassidy and I'm goin out to Goodwin this weekend.Goodwin and Cassidy are both good bass lakes - Cassidy a bit later in the year. Goodwin produced a 10+ pounder last year. And they're right about the poppers.Wait for a bit - 63+ degrees and they go bannanas. By the way - I lived in SC for 7 yrs, grew up in NC. So yeah the bass fishing is alot better there, even at this time of the year. Drop me a message if you want a partner for the bass trips. My Dad and I bass fish like fanatics. I'd like to add another bass addict to the fishing call list.Good fishing. See ya on the lakes.

8. Todd Bishop

Todd Bishop Banned or Parked

i agree with suck egg. the murdich minnow is the first thing that even close to what i tie and they both work the same. low and slow combined with the strip/pause is a powerful thing. but only if you know where to use it. drop offs and right before rapids when they move away from the drop offs.