Skagit float question.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by fjthompsoniii, Jan 21, 2013.

1. fjthompsoniii New Member

enumclaw wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Hey guys. It's been years since I've been on the Skagit in a boat and those were always big sleds. My question is. Can I float from either swift creek to steelhead park or steelhead park to fabers in a low profile flyfishing style drift boat (RO Deville)? As I said it's been a long time thinking there might have been some pretty heavy water coming into the mixer? Is my memory playing tricks? If there is heavy water can I stay to the side and get by in my lo pro? Dont recall there being anything remotely scary on the upper float I mentioned. Any info you could give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  2. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +570 / 0
    I don't think you would have any trouble with either drift.
  3. Chris DeLeone Active Member

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    I agree with _WW_ - I would float the HMSP to Faber's or you could look at Faber's to Concrete/Baker River. That might get you some more time on the sticks, a little more water too - stay to the right of the big island just above Jackman creek. Its your call - be fishy, be safe, and enjoy the Skagit
  4. fjthompsoniii New Member

enumclaw wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Appreciate the quick responses guys. Kind of wanted to just do some shorter floats so I can get out of the boat and swing some good runs.
  5. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,390 / 0
    I have floated the Skagit many times in my canoe and a little 7' Achilles rubber ducky without incident. Piece of cake unless you don't belong in your own boat.

Sg
  6. Whitehorsebob Member

Darrington,wa
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    no worries you could float those sections with a aluminum cartopper, if it seems a bit heavy just slide up against the slower side bank.
  7. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +206 / 0
    Sjagit is now closed below Rockport.
  8. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +492 / 0
    wait you can still fish the skagit?
  9. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +208 / 0
    Still open from Rockport to Marblemount until the 15th, as is the lower part of the Cascade. The areas around hatcheries are still open on most of the S-rivers.
  10. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +492 / 0
    i knew the s-rivers part