Skagit Floating Head

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ringlee, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have 2 skagit speys right now and only fish a sink tip with them. I would like to expand and use a floating head as well. I dont need a sink tip all the time. Anybody have any comments on building a floating head or is there something that I can purchase that will work better. I like to use 15 heads with a combination of sinktip and a cheater. Would a 10 foot cheater connected to a 5 foot cheater solve my problem?
    Chris

2. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Chris in my opinion the simple solution is just to use a floating tip from a WC.

I stock them if you can't find one over there. Aaron at River Run Anglers most likely has them as well.

It is also pretty easy to build a tip from any old lines you might have. I would keep it close to the length and weight of the sinktips you like to throw. Just install a braided loop and loop it to your floating cheater of the oppropriate size.

3. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    so here's a silly question. Is there any reason to use a floater on a skagit system? I understand that it would be nice to not have to change reels, but I was under the impression that using a Skagit system really lent itself to heavy submerged tips. Wouldn't a floater kinda make things a bit goofy?

4. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Howdy James, I don't think your question is silly but my answer would be, why not? If a person likes casting a skagit system I can see no reason not to use that system all year. Skagit lines with a floating tip work very well for catching trout on large western rivers. They are great for cutting through heavy winds.
    Please note: I am not saying everyone should run out and buy a skagit system for summer fishing nor am I saying this is the way to go on your local "spring creek" or the brook across the road. However, it doesn't matter whether the tip is a sinker or a floater, Skagit lines are easy to cast, cast great in tight places and cut through the wind really good. If you already have one and like fishing it why not just use it year round.

5. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi Ringlee,
    Not sure about a Skagit line , but Scierra make a line called the xda, its a super fast sink line with a 3 metre floating tip, used for keeping your fly just off the bottom of the river or lake, it comes in sizes wf 5-8, all one line no cutting, but i'm sure you could if you wanted to, you should be able to find one over with you if not let me know, i only use it for lake fishing, its good for fishing a fly just off the bottom when the fish are deep, or its weedy.
    Cheers Gordon.:beer2:

6. harleytio

harleytio Member

Never is the day that learning stops.

harleytio

7. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    Ringlee, I've thought about this a bit. I've decided to stick with the Skagit line for fishing tips. I've decided to stick with my midspey for floating line situations. Eventually, I would like to go to a Carron floating line.

I saw Scott O'Donnell and Mike McCune casting a floating Skagit head at a recent event. I believe they were using a combination of floating cheaters to achieve the proper length and grain weight.

speyghillie are you getting at this:

floating = hover= intermediate?

8. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I bought aome Windcutter floating heads for the skagit speys that I have. I think that the lines will work very well.
    These short heads are pretty much cheating!
    Chris

9. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Thanks Brent Comer,
    speyghillie are you getting at this:

floating = hover= intermediate?.
    O my, thats good.:eek:

10. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    Sorry, I misunderstood your post.