skagit head for 8 wt switch

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by aaroncoastie, Jan 29, 2012.

1. aaroncoastie New Member

Port Angeles/La Push
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Just picked up a 8 wt 11' A.R.E. switch rod for some winter steelhead. Does anyone know the grain window for this rod? I am thinking of putting a 510 grain airflo compact skagit on it. I will be using medium MOW tips and throwing some fairly hefty flies.
  2. Marcel Member

Seattle, WA
    I don't know the grain window for that rod but I can recommend a good head. Once you find the right weight try AF's Skagit Switch line. Great for short rods with SA casts. It's the best off the shelf switch line I've used by far for SA casts and sink tips.
  3. Wadecalvin Member

Redmond Oregon
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I couldnt find that stick on the site- do you have a link? I've had several of those rods including the 5/6 11' switch (that I spun up ) That works nice with a 19' 325 grains SGS Skagit head.
  4. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    rio skagit short 20' perfect for tight spots and more grains per foot hauls a heavy payload on a short rod.
  5. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    I would contact Steve Godshall out of Meiser's. He will make you a Skagit to fit your ARE rod or at least give you the grain window. I have a Scandi on my batson 1088 that he made and love it
  6. aaroncoastie New Member

Port Angeles/La Push
    Thanks guys. I am going to fish the Bogi Friday and will bring that rod with the 510. Noticed while yard casting the rod that at 26' the head seems a little long. I will probably pick up that AF Skagit Switch line somewhere in the low 500's to try while out there.
  7. Gray Ghost Member

Flowing Waters
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    For a Airflo Skagit Switch Tom Larimer recommended in his blog, 30 grains less than your preferred Airflo Skagit Compact. If you like a Airflo Skagit Compact 510 on your rod, then go with a Airflo Skagit Switch 480.

On Kiene's site, the Airflo Skagit Switch 480 is the most popular for 11' 8wt switch rods.