Skagit heads - origin

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Manimal, May 9, 2009.

1. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

We pick our spey lines partly because of the circumstances of a certain location, but also because of our preferences in timing and rythym. The first time you successfully cast a mini-skagit head out from under the briar patch at your back is a revelation. The first time you realize that you can pick up 90 feet of long belly line with your 16-footer is another kind of revelation.

Casting concentrated weight is a kind of mechanical efficiency, and a skagit line is far down the continuum toward the ultimate in concentrated weight: a baitcasting rod with a heavy sinker or lure. Stretching the weight out over more feet allows us to enjoy the rythyms of how the casting stroke harmonizes with our minds and nervous systems. (It's like sex: sometimes you want it to last two minutes, sometimes two hours; but most of the time we're best served with something in between).

2. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Ironically, Forks has a lot of vampires now. It's a good place to start :)

3. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Media:
    Cop car? All you need is a dead rabbit. Tie it on whole, put a stinger hook and you are ready to go. Oh yeah and peg a bead right above the rabbit....the fish will think the rabbit is going to get it.

4. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    May I call you Smart Arse?! Poppy.:thumb: That's a great point!!

6. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Never worked for me back east.

Bard,
    cds

7. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I agree with Coach on this one....... I aint mac'n to a hoofie 'cus I fly fish :D

8. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    I respectfully call double bullshit on you. East Coast women longing for a fishing bum in their lives? No way and that's where I stand on this one.

9. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think chuckngear is using a analogy:D... if you have a long rod (spey rod), you are more likely to win...:rofl:

10. they love the long rod back east. coach ill open up every girl in nyc tonight with "hey i fly fish wanna f*ck" and illk get back to you with the results.

11. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:

Call me whatever you want. Usually Mrs RedShed calls me "an old B%&XX#%^XX*&^D!!":)

12. FT

FT Active Member

Coach,

You got the origins of the shooting head nailed. They even made it back east (i.e. like to the Catskills and the larger Pennsylvania rivers and streams), where folks cut DT lines at 30' to make 2 shooting head. And some of these floating heads had 10' cut off the front taper and had loops added to the now 20' floating head so folks could use interchangeable sink tips that were made from sinking shooting tapers or lead core. I remember using them when in high school in the late 1960's on rivers like the Upper Delaware and its branches, Lehigh River in Penn, Juniata River in PA, the north branch of the Susquahanna River (1/2 mile wide and full of smallmouth), Penn's Creek, Lackawaxen River, and many others. My father didn't use them, but some of his friends did and that is where I learned of them.

So as Coach so well wrote, shooting heads have been around since before WWII, and the use of interchangeable sinktips on both full length lines and shooting heads goes back about as far. Where do you all think the line companies got the idea for full length sinktip lines (which were introduced in the late 1960's)?

Jim Vincent, the fellow who started RIO, and his wife were fishing bums who used shooting heads on single-hand rods, as well as home-made interchangeable sinktips. When he began designing lines under his RIO brand (originally he sold only tippet material to support his fishing habit) for 2-handed rods (his first lines were the Windcutter and he had Cortland make them for him), he offered them with factory installed loops so folks didn't have to learn how to cut and loop lines or how to properly match the sinktip weight to the floating belly. Jim didn't do anything that hadn't been in use for many, many years by those who didn't mind cutting into new lines and adding loops so they could avoid changing reel spools to change sink rates of sink tips when fishing.

As Kerry put it, there was no one individual who came up with or developed the shooting head or the interchangeable tips, it was done by many folks, some who fished together and some who didn't even know each other, some on the west coast where it started and some on the east coast after they found out about it.

13. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    I'm pretty sure Manimal fell asleep for 75 years, and managed to wake up on the Skykomish next to Dennis. He wouldn't be the first.