Skagit / Sedro-Woolley Area

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mike A, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Mike A

Mike A New Member

I will be visiting my wife's family in Sedro-Woolley the first week of July. I'm planning on getting in a bit of fishing while I'm there. It will be my first time fishing in Washington at all. I'm not sure how much time on the water I can get (hopefully quite a bit) but I want to take advantage of whatever I get.

So, my question is, if you were in my shoes, where would you fish? I have never fished for salmon or steelhead at all, mostly just trout lately. My father-in-law is not a fly fisher, but he likes Pass Lake and suggested it as a nice place.

To sum up: First week of July, Skagit valley and surrounding areas, 6 wt rod, where to fish? (And any suggested patterns are always appreciated so I can tie some up before I go if needed.)

Thanks in advance for any help and I look forward to trying the waters in such a beautiful place. I'm sure I'll be fishing there often (whenever I visit the in-laws).

2. chrisnwflyfish

chrisnwflyfish New Member

Home Page:
    If you want to catch a ton of trout, go to Depression Lake which is a small man made lake on the South East corner of Baker Lake. There is a earth dam that separates Depression from Baker. It is planted before the fouth of July weekend and should be full of trout when you get there. However, you will need a float tube. For your best luck, fish the deep water near the earth dam. Use woolly buggers and carey specials with a type II full sinking line. As far as steelhead goes, you can hit the Skagit, but you may just be getting a lot of casting practice in July.

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You might try Vogler Lake. It is off Burpee Hill Road above Concrete. Fly fishing only lake and you will need a tube or a boat of some sort, no gas motors.

Wooley Buggers, black and olive. Chironomids, size 12 thru 16, black, brown, green, red. Olive Cary Specials. Damsil nymph and damsil patterns. Anything that resembles a leach or polywog. Early morning and evening hours, emerger patterns work.

4. Rxfisher

Rxfisher New Member

For trout fishing those are both good options. Pass lake can be tough fishing during the warmer weather. One of my favorite summer haunts is the North Fork of the Stillaguamish chasing summer run steelhead. Early July is good timing. It's a beautiful stream with lots of angling history (America's first fly-fishing only stream), I enjoy hiking and fishing a stream I know some of the great ones did. Just an option and your 6 wt is a great summer run rod. I live in Sedro-Woolley, and am always happy to show some of our fishing options. Steve

5. Mike A

Mike A New Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will have to try them out. I'm looking forward to it. I won't have a float tube with me and I was hoping to have a small boat for any lake fishing, but it looks like that might not happen.

I will make sure I try at least try the North Fork of the Stillaguamish as suggested. I've never tried for steelhead, just read about it, and since I don't really care if I even catch anything, just as long as I'm out fishing, what the hey! So, I started tying up some steelhead flies this weekend. Should be fun.

6. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
  7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I might be old---but I'm good.

Was on the river yesterday and it was really high. Fished it earily in the AM. Nobody there but me and my buddy. Catch rate is still the same 0 fish. It was clear but as I said it was high. Fished just below Hazel. Jim :BIGSMILE

8. Mike A

Mike A New Member

Thanks for the suggestions

I just returned from my trip and wanted to say thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I got pretty sick for a while and wasn't able to get in much fishing. I did try Depression Lake hoping to catch some holdovers but the hatchery fish didn't like my flies much, although they seemed to like everyone around me's PowerBait well enough (hence the name Depression?). I tried Vogler Lake for a little while as the rain got stronger and stronger and I had to give up (I was already sick and didn't want to get any worse or I would have stayed longer anyway). Fish were jumping and taunting me to catch them. Nice place. I also spent some time scoping out the rivers in the area for next time, particularly the Stillaguamish North Fork and the Sauk which were both just crying out for me to fish them (I could hear it).

So, thanks for the help. I'll be back. (For now, I'm very glad the river levels have gone down in Calgary while I was gone so I can get back at them.)