Skagit user gone Delta

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Evan Burck, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

When I first picked up a spey rod 4yrs ago, I was told unanimously to just use a skagit. I stuck with that advice for the most part, getting a scandi head here and there to try out, but ultimately using Skagits for all of my fishing. Recently, I was given a new Delta 7/8 as payment for a website project I did, and I gotta say, I wish I had discovered this sooner!

Overall, I think the Delta is a superior style line. Only situations I can think of that a Skagit would be beneficial would be for very heavy flies, big sink tips, or when you have brush right at your back. But really, I rarely ever fish large flies, the type 6 sink in the multi tip Delta will fish most the water I tend to swing, and yesterday I was actually able to use an off shoulder cast to make my cast work out when I had brush at my back.

Not only do I find it more enjoyable to cast, but it's a fantastic fishing line. The amount of control I have over my swings and mends is unreal when compared to the heavy shooting head/light running line combo I was used to. I am able to set up swings that used to be very difficult to control.

Definitely not jumping in the "skagits are stupid" bandwagon by any means, but I don't think it should be the "go-to" line we tell the newbies to grab. Seems like Skagits have become the default line for most spey guys, but I just don't see the advantages now that I've tried something else. I'm very curious about the Rio UniSpey as well, and plan to give that a whirl soon too.

2. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

No more Flight love eh?

3. LBC

LBC nymphing beads with a spey pole.

I had that line when I first started and it seemed WAY too long... I think now that I get the dynamics of the cast, it would be alot of fun to not strip a shit ton of running line in on everycast and try and manage it. If we get together Thursday, I'll be anxious to give it a spin.

4. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

I am a big fan of the Delta. you should try a Vector if you fish a full floater. it's one of the few lines that I really feel makes me a better caster.

5. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

heh heh. another pilgrim saved.

6. FLGator

FLGator Member

Amazing isn't it...

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Like the delta. Trying the delta long. I'm not worthy as of yet. Skagits still in the lineup because of my limited skill and how easy they are for fly delivery. Like the delta.

8. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

congrats on moveing to the dark side... As long as nobody mentions how much easier it is to skagit line cast, and how it definatley IS NOT the most versitile line system, then this should be a very civil thread...

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Good job of ending the pain.

10. Double D

Double D New Member

Ah yes, and this is why the rest of the world perceives two handed fisherman as tools.

11. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

....and what is the most versitile system?

12. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Save the Delta long for longer rods, if you're using rods under 14' the delta is a very "fishy" line. The long delta is best with longer rods.

What, or how long a rod are you using it on Evan? Please share a little more of the experience.

13. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Evan, I imagine you must really enjoy the benefit of not having to strip your arm off as well.

14. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

The good old Delta. Durable and versatile. Its my go to winter line for tips, tubes and irons to 2/0

15. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

They have their uses, and they are fun as hell to cast.

They don't fish worth a damn in uneven water, and they suck even more with a 30mph wind, but when things jibe for the delta they are the tits.

16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Running this on a 13'6" Decho.

And to the wind comment: I would definitely put the Skagit back on in the wind!

17. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher its taco time. wheres the sauce?

longer lines are never a bad idea to add to the arsenal.

18. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

new to the board. right on.

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Party on, Wayne!

20. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

party on Garth