Skagit user gone Delta

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Evan Burck, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

I dont get it. Explain.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    This isn't the party attitude I was talking about.

3. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Every now and again I throw an accidental lazer loop just above the water, in high winds, and watch it straighten out and plop down somewhere near my target...with amazement. You can effectively use a floating tipped delta in wind...though executing becomes more challenging. But then again, a challenge can initiate near infinite determination.

Cast on Evan, I think you have the determination.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    My delta standards get some use on the mid length rods. A new rod in my quiver is worthy of the delta long. I'm going to try the pairing as I try to learn a bit more skill with the two hander. A wise gentleman told me to dial in a setup and stop messing with it. I've done that with some success thus far. More success to follow I hope.

5. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

My apoligoes. Party on.

In regards to the wind topic, I think it depends on your definition of wind. Some winds are so redonculous they require extreme measures.

6. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    Albums:
    Some winds bring a smile :) Toss a high loop and watch the running line melt away..

Deltas rock.

B

7. Ed Call

Media:
    Downstream wind. Standing river right on the inside curve. Toss it up high and let it fly. Long wind aided carry and nice long swings.

8. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

so with the delta heads.. can you throw sink tips or you just use sinking poly's??Thanks

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Sink tips weight matched to the amount of floating tip you normally use. Works fine for me and I suck.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    The delta multi tip comes with a floater, intermediate, type 3 and type 6 tip.

11. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

For a long time, I thought that "cut the tip back for some feet, then add a loop" was pretty much the whole story for converting a spey line to cast sinking tip. Recently I've found that my 6/7 Airflo Delta will cast a modest weight sink tip or floating tip as is. The reason is that Deltas have a thicker tip than some other brand lines. And that's why we cut lines back: not to shorten them, but to make the looped tip end thicker, more able to transmit the weight of a sinking tip. Not everybody has a micrometer or electronic scale lying around, but if you're into spey, you need these basic tools. For a start, it's likely that a Delta will handle sink tips of moderate weight, say under 100 grains. My Delta's tip is .046". Tips in the mid-fifties can handle most attachments, and tips above .065" handle those "logging chain" sinktips, if and when they're needed.

12. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Back from my trip..my go to line is the nextcast FF cut for tips...fished any size fly, casts amazingly..less striping....Throw the dry tip on for skating bugs...throw on delta tips for everything else...used to think you couldn't throw big bugs but you can...Learned a valuable lesson from the steelhead gods I fished with...Fly doesn't matter, learn to fish it...I've been retarded...what a difference...

Skagits will be there for emergency use..but that's all...

13. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    I'm taking the nextcast w.a. out to the natch'e w/ wifey today ..15' 8/9 Clearwater handles it nicely

14. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I like that set up as well I wish the re-issue of the Winter Authority was as good as the original :(

15. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    Had to goto the 15 footer,broke my Beulah last week in cashmere:( but 3 fish always helps you get over that:)

16. Ian Broadie

Media:
    Home Page:
    If they weren't so expensive and hard to come by I would cut my FF 45 for tips, I think it would be a total tip throwing beast.

17. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    Mac hit the mark here. I like those numbers. if .060 won't turn it over, you need to go back to casting school. 101.
    You'll find that casting tips off a longish belly requires stroke adjustments, particularly in the sweep and set. But it's great fun.

The FF45 is indeed a monster, and a simple cut/weld/loop job will allow it to handle most substantial tips. Admittedly Ian, leaving it whole has its own beauty, I appreciate the feeling. That is a dryline screamer.

18. Ian Broadie

Media:
    Home Page:
    Even though I fish Skagit heads a ton no one will ever have to convince me of the awesomeness of the Delta Spey.

I was a practice dummy for a friend whose taking up photography and a couple pictures turned out pretty cool.

19. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Sick hair!!!!!!

20. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Ian,(or Ted Neguent) I talked to simon and he made me the ff with the removable floating tip...Head only..Think they are going to sell as the wa 45 or something...The floating tip on and it's a grease lining or dry bug skating beast....I asked him to make it to handle 85-90 gr tips and it just launches off my rod...fished big rabbit strips to small classics...throws all!!!

The funny thing is and I know it's been discussed ad-naseum on here is I had zero problem fishing this line up in the bush or on a high bank with trees...just dump a perry in front and smooth it out...or do the Henrik Mortensen face the bank single spey thing...

If you want, PM me and I'll get the length and dia. of where he put the loop on mine..