skagit vs. the world.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Well, mids and longbellies aren't going to make pulling those tips up any easier. Spend some time making friends with the windcutter.

2. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    message transferred

3. inland

inland Active Member

Phil,

Good on ya.

William

4. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

carron-rod-and-case dot co dot uk
    lines are available there.

5. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Well if you mean it, back at you. I can see how the first couple of pages would get your feathers up, but we've settled in to a nice discussion. You're more than welcome to join in with your experiences and opinions. The only requirement is not to attack anybody because of their choices of line.

6. inland

inland Active Member

Phil,

Of course I mean it.

William

7. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:

Is this a carron new line? do anyone know what is the head profile? Thanks,

Mark

8. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

So there seems to be a couple different schools of thought here: generally I support the idea of a belly length to rod ratio as a definition of line class rather than a given length of line. However, this sort of takes away from the idea of what some prefer to think of as a true long belly. But again when you look at the big stick and the bellies they can carry it comes down to the ratio again. So a guy with say a 12 1/2 foot rod with a GPS line with a 65' belly is hucking a long belly. No? I dont for a second equate the skill level as the same required for say a 16 or 18' rod though even if I do like the short rod because I can use it under trees, tight to the bank and it is easier on a cartilage deficient shoulder....

9. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    I hear you. I really wasn't concerned about tips, just thinking I'd like to give a full floater long belly a whirl. I no longer own the windcutter, since I didn't use it. Would the power spey in a full floater be a good choice and would that be considered a mid belly?

10. Speyniac

Speyniac New Member

Simply not true Mr golfman. Fishing long lines in tight confines is easily accomplished by pulling the head in to a suitable length for the situation. Furthermore, that type of water is highly conducive to holding fish in close so hero casts are typically not needed. Even with the head pulled in, it is still possible to shoot some line for distance if it is deemed necessary. Long bellies can do it all with proper employment of technique and dedication to perfecting the craft. Then again, there are still mid bellies, short heads, skandi lines etc so skagit lines are hardly a necessary tool for any situation.

cheers

11. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    gentlemen,
    gentlemen.
    The only question here is, "why does a dog lick his own nuts?"
    8 pages of, "because he can".

12. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Mother of all that is holy and righteous, could the waters please drop and the season be declared open so that this thread and others like it might be abandoned in favor of piscatorial pursuits?

14. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    And why should this tread be abandoned? Aside from a little chest puffing and ego tripping a nice discussion has weaved itself into the forum. If we can't debate the merits and opinions of different line systems really why have a spey forum? This thread has views and responses because it's intriguing...if you think it's a dead horse why even comment? just ignore the thread and move on. As steelheaders even when we aren't on the water we're still fishing, steelheadings is a process that doesn't just start and end stream side.

Better yet...Contribute a thread that you think is more relevant and let this one die.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Interesting Mr. Speyniac. But once a long belly line is pulled inside the tip top, guides and put into the hand or on the reel in tight quarters, have you not just created a short belly line? It seems so and not only is it short bellied, but it also likely lacks the heft to deliver the payload that such a full long line can deliver. You have now compromised your delivery system into something that I fear will not reach far, will not carry tips as effectively and will not carry heavy flies as well. It seems that all casting styles and line systems are compromises at times. Best, and welcome.

16. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    I cry foul! You have just pointed out the obvious which is not only unfair but also of questionable ethics!

Kindly recant your statement so that discussion may continue for another 8 pages.

17. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    With proper employment of technique I can drive a thumbtack with a sledge hammer.

18. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Kind of like fishing a small wet with a Skagit floater??????? LOL This is a joke so please take it as such, why the hate for long lines????? I have not said anything bad about skagits......till now, but again its a JOKE people.

19. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Go back and read my first post on this thread. I have no hate for any type of gear. The whole idea of being able to use a variety of rods, lines, flies, technique is to pick the one you think is the best tool for the job. Perhaps you feel a long belly line is the best. Go for it. Perhaps you feel nymphing a particular run is the best technique. Do it.

I only mentioned the sledge hammer to make a point.

20. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Sorry _WW_, I'm the classic buzzkill. It is not possible for me to point out the obvious because I'm oblivious. They do say a blind squirrel sometimes finds an acorn. I'll not retract though...in hopes not to get eight more pages!