Skating Dries for Trash Fish

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Kcahill, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    Tonight when the popper got no love I tied on the dry fly I had so much luck with earlier in the week casting to rising fish. Since there were no fish rising I just tossed it to the pads and let it sit, then skated it back so it created a V but not going under.

All of a sudden there were fish everywhere, I must of caught 40-50 in an hour with the largest a LMB at about 12". I would say the average size was 6-8". Incredibly fun even on a 5wt, I can see a 3 wt or 2wt in my future.

Anybody else out there skate dries for panfish? Is a 2wt to small for the occasional 1lb+ bass?
  2. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    Yes-a green but black gnat has worked well in the evenings---I have a 2 wt. powell that I made a number of years ago that does nicely for small bass and pan fish. Will not through poppers very well. Once fish consistently go over 1 lb, I would tend to use my heavier rods.
  3. dflett68 Active Member

snohomish
    Ratings: +197 / 0
    LMB are trash fish?
  4. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Most of them were not LMB, and yeah on this forum they are trash fish :D
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I twitched a #12 yellow stimulator for panfish once. Had a Bluegill the size of my hand nail it and dive back down under the lilly pads. Put a good bend in my 6 wt!
    I'd fish for Bluegills more often if I knew where some were closer to me.. Crappie and Smallies,too. But I agree that LMB are just trash fish.:D I can go fish for some dandy 10" to 12" fat Peamouth Chubs with my 3 or 4 wt gear, and that's pretty trashy! They will take dries, especially at low tide! Nothing bigger than a size 12, so they can get it in their small round mouths (about the size of a large pea). For wets, a # 10 softhackle is about as big as will hook them easily. I get about 20 hits on a #8 Reversed Spider from them for every hookup, since it doesn't fit in their mouths very easily. However, the larger flies keeps the smaller ones from getting hooked. Last trip I did for cutthroat up "jackhole crik," I didn't find hardly any cutthroat (brought one nice 10"er to hand, and a couaple of 7"ers), but I hit the chub run (guaranteed Peamouth action) and caught some nice 12"ers and one fat one about 13" that put up a decent struggle. Better than no action at all!
    After that kind of slumming, I don't feel the need to go target any LMB.
    Kcahill likes this.
  6. dflett68 Active Member

snohomish
    Ratings: +197 / 0
    I love 'em. I can see you do too.
  7. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    I have had a lot of fun with them this year, its a fishery I had forgotten as i pursued saltwater and trout over the last year or two.

Next year though my goal is going to be to relearn the lake washington bass fishery!
    Gary Knowels and dflett68 like this.