Skating/waking a dry success rate

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Luke77, Jun 26, 2012.

1. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

think i read it here, about using a Sequin in front of the fly will get it to wake.
    haven't tried it myself.

2. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I started fishing dead drift drys in the 70s on the Stilly and it got to the point where I felt confident fishing behind my buddy with a sinking line, I just caught and rose more fish. I quit steelies for a few years and then started trying skaters on the DesChutes. They really came to them! Now I like to try them most of the time. I still believe they raise more fish than the sunken fly. If the fish comes back but I can't seem to hook him on the skater, I sin and go to a normal fly on the floating line. I'm talking summer here, not cold water conditions, and not pocket water (you'll do better with a nymph and bobber). There is a phsycological side to the whole thing though, if you don't think it will work, it won't!

3. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

Golfy, you just ever saw the chewed ones lol...

The head is simply flared out. I tie mostly with moose hair as it is quite durable compared to deer or elk. Stack, check for length, pinch the clump and trim the butts, locate it on the hook, two loose wraps then tighten it down. Tie off and do the final trim. I usually don't ''goop'' the heads on the second row style of bugs, though if you look at the last row (click on the pic for macro) first one on the left, its gooped.

4. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    Here is the result of the other nights session at the vice......can't wait to put more time behind the skater this year. Thanks for the inspiration g_smolt!

FSK1.jpg FSK2.jpg FSK3.jpg

5. generic

generic Active Member

I'm only one for four. But like Evan said, you have to leave it on I think. I get too impatient, thinking that I won't catch anything.

6. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Albums:
    I do better in pocket water Skating than I do anything else.. I grew up on the upper Washougal and in the summer there are no runs or riffles it's all pocket water. you'll be amazed how they can see a sly on the surface through all the frothing foam

7. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Rob....thanks for the advice, I'll try it! JS-that first fly looks like one of mine....it works great!

8. TD

TD Active Member

I have fish a double bead stonefly under a size 10 orange humpy with fair results. I tie the humpy with a long moose hair tail and lots of stiff deer hair. This helps it float with the heavier stonefly under it.