Skeena Closed to all fishing

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by golfman44, Jul 17, 2014.

1. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    But wait! I'm not from Darrington...

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    They got tar heels in Darrington? Huh, I thought they all stopped at Concrete (or Clear Lake).

3. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I would`nt change my plans just yet .

4. MaxCohen

MaxCohen New Member

OK if i offend you in this post im sorry and yes i know this poast is kinda old i live in BC and have been watching this all unfold

For the peoplw that say that filming and guiding dosnt help in sorry but i does. Think of it this way if u have a river and only u fish it and then the fish numbers decline since u are the only one who's know about this river and u refuse to tell any one else. How can u expect that the fish numbers are gona go up they wont. exsposer to rivers like the bulkley skeena dean ect the need the exposuer so people know about them grow to love them and help these rivers out we need as many people as possible helping out.

For the past 6 months the tribes up there have been sucking money from gov and endbridge. It was bound to happen at some point were the tribes would turb around say thanks for the money and screw off. They do it with every thing else why would this be any difrent

5. MaxCohen

MaxCohen New Member

And sorry for graner and spelling wrote this all iphone

6. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

Color me offended but you can love something to death and one more go pro video is not going to save anything. Increasing fishing pressure is not conservation. More idiots trampling redds and playing wild fish with 6# test for 15 minutes is going to have a negative effect on wild steelhead.

7. MaxCohen

MaxCohen New Member

Not exactley sure if u have a problem with guys down there fishing with 6lb if u do thats just playing sad. If i found u fishing 6lb test for steelhead there would be no kind words said and another reason for exsposuer is peopke teaching others right from wrong i think

8. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

does not matter if it is 6# fluoro, 15# mono, or 50# braid. i stand by my statement, more people fishing does not mean more people doing conservation based work. might mean more people talking about doing conservation work/donating on the interwebz, but then they become too preoccupied by the latest douche making a sweet gopro video about how to take 15 mintues to land a kelt

David Dalan likes this.
  9. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    this tribal deal sucks for those with trips up to the skeena, but i cannot help but smile a little inside after the recent regs were put in place up there by the guide community to screw the unguided community with no data to back them up. the guides who were all about excluding others are now getting excluded by the tribes. making it all about commercialization has a karmic backlash.

10. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I can't see a scenario where any of the Skeena steelhead populations are in any way dented by C&R mortality. The angling experience could be loved to death but to argue that angling pressure will effect those fish seems a bit detached from reality. Trampling on redds seems to be an impossibility too, given the fish's spawn timing.

The guides did a great of creating a more private playground for themselves by using anti-outsider sentiment. I think the locals would rather that they kick out the Albertans than the Americans, but they could not expel fellow Canadians. Yet another reason that guides are generally the problem with angling experience.

Go Sox,
    cds

Brian Thomas likes this.
  11. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

I was referring to the situation down in the states, sorry for the slight derailment of the thread. I have zero knowledge of our neighbors up north

12. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I`ve been going up there every year for the past 11 years , and I`ve always found the Americans to be completely respectful of the resource , the land , the regulations , and of others around them .

Can`t say the same thing about (some) other fellow Canucks .

13. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    I generally get along with everyone up there. The Albertans are an aggressive bunch, fun loving and well equipped with oil money. They seem to respond as well to whisky as any other Canadian. There were a few up there in a huge jet boat that they high centered a couple times in a couple days. They were unable to hook a fish even with gear for the 3 days they were there.

The other Albertans I've met were helpful but there seems to be something of a rivalry between the BC boys and Albertans.

Go Sox,
    cds

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    The best Albertans yet were the displaced Newfies, with their grand attitude and grand camp. I'd have a grand attitude too if I cast as bad as the one Newfie who kept catching steelhead despite his inability to lay out a decent line.

15. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:

So there IS hope for me yet!

[​IMG]

golfman44 likes this.
  16. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Newfies will be up from the 20th-27th. There may be an evening in there where there's a chance for a barley pop.

Go Sox,
    cds