Skip Morris SRC Fly

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mike Etgen, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    New River Mike

At the F/F Expo in Gardiner a couple of weeks back, Skip Morris did a presentation on SRCs and one of his slides showed a "go-to" fly which was primarily yellow (not a Knudson's Spider). It had a dubbed body and he described the dubbing as a Sparkle Soft Yellow. I purchased some of that.

I hoped to get into his flytying workshop following but didn't get a seat and so don't have anything to go by.

Was anyone there who saw and can recall this fly or does anyone know what I'm referring to?

I suppose if all else fails I can contact him, but I'm hoping this will ring a bell for someone. Maybe Mike at Port Townsend Angler would know, also.

Thanks, all...

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Member

Media:
    Mike,
    If it was a soft-hackle variant it was probably the Racoon which is a pattern that Skip published in Fly Tyer a couple of years back.

Hook 1x long heavy wire
    Bead head: optional
    Tail: Grizzly hen hackle fibers
    Body: Black, pink, red or black rabbit dubbing with flash mixed in
    Hackle: Undyed grizzly soft hackle (hen neck, chickabou, etc.)

Dave

3. Mike Etgen

Media:
    New River Mike

Hmmm...sounds possible. I do recall this one being yellow, though. In fact, he really emphasized that during the presentation, even suggesting that yellow itself seems attractive to cutts.

I do think this one was a soft-hackle, though, and I've gotten the impression he favors soft-hackled flies. What you've described, substituting the yellow, may be exactly right.

I've also emailed Mike at Port Townsend Anglers, but I don't expect to hear from him until tomorrow at best.

Thanks!:thumb

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Member

Media:
    Oops. I see that I mentioned black twice and didn't mention yellow. Yellow is one of the colors mentioned.

5. kjackson

kjackson Banned or Parked

I'm willing to bet that it was the Raccoon as published in Fly Tyer about a year ago last fall. The fly is pretty basic as noted above. If you go into PT Angler, you'll see several bins of them, mainly in yellow and orange.

My frequent fishing buddy bought half a dozen just after the article came out. He's still waiting for his first fish on them, as am I. Part of the reason for that is we don't fish them much-- we tried them pretty frequently after his purchase, but now they're relegated to the back of the box with those flies you don't fish until everything else bombs.

I do think this is a good, basic pattern-- I mean after all, what can't you catch on a gray hackle-yellow?-- but there are a lot of good, basic patterns out there. In our area, the Snot Dart is the best go-to around in my experience, followed by the Miyawaki Beach Popper.

Keith

6. pcknshvl

pcknshvl Member

Snot Dart?

Tom

7. kjackson

Yes, Grasshopper, the Snot Dart.

But let me preface this by saying that my previous comments about the Raccoon relate to fishing for cutts in saltwater. I haven't used the fly in freshwater, although I will take some examples to Lenore when I head over there in a couple of weeks.

The Snot Dart, aka Jim's Dandy, is pictured on the PT Angler website (ptangler.com). It was developed by one of the shop's previous owners Jim Kerr. It's essentially a representation of a polychaete worm.

It has a very faint fluorescent orange tail-- by very faint, I mean that the marabou is almost but not quite white. The body is burnt orange floss, copper wire rib and a touch of dubbing at the tie-off point behind the brass conehead. The tail is very full-- almost a wing. It's a great fly, and most of the time all you really need around here. It's effective on silvers and just about everything else. I'm not sure how good it will be during the chum smolt migration, though, because of the coloring. I hope to find out next week when I get out.

Keith

8. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

The only Raccoon that I know about is Phil Rowley's emerging midge and it is a dandy for trout, including cutthroats, primarily in lakes. It is in his book, Fly Patterns for Stillwaters.

Les Johnson

9. kjackson

I guess I'll do anything to avoid work. I found the Fly Tyer reference on the second try. The pattern is the Raccoon; you can find it in the Spring 2002 issue of the magazine.

The variations listed show yellow, pink, red, and black bodies with or without a bead. It's interesting to note that the flies shown in the pix have a longer, thinner body than those at PT Angler.

Back to deadlines.

Keith

10. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I sat in on the fly tying demonstration, and got to watch Skip tie up the "Racoon." I'm not even sure if that is the name, as somehow it didn't "register" in my feeble mind, but the dressing described above is the same.
    A couple of notes worth mentioning:
    Skip made a dubbing loop and put the dubbing into it sticking out about 3/8" on either side of the thread, and and when wrapping this on the shank of the hook, stroked the fibers from each completed wrap back out of the way so that the next wrap wouldn't trap any fibers under it. The result was a body with a soft, shaggy appearance that undulates and pulsates when the fly is stripped thru the water. He said that pulsating action was a key element in the fly's success as a cutthroat attractor. He said the fly also caught coho.
    The grizzly fibers on the tail were from the part of the hackle where the fibers just start turning "marabou-y," so that the tail will be soft and full and pulsate a little when the fly is stripped in.

Skip also tied up a "Jim Dandy" and a "Marabou Muddler" in the demo.
    The funny thing was that I got to watch the "Racoon" fly being tied, and remembered how to do it, but somehow the name didn't stick in my mind.
    Hope that helps.

Jimbo

11. Mike Etgen

Media:
    New River Mike

Very helpful replies from all. I sure wish I'd seen the demonstration...as good as the dubbing description is, I'm still having a hard time visualizing it. I'll definitely have to look at the "Snot Dart aka Jim's Dandy."

Jimbo...how did we miss you? (Not that you'd know me or vice versa, but a couple of us - nrandrew and myself - were tagging along with Bob Lawless for a while).

And I remember you were going to be the wierd guy trying to act normal but geez...EVERYONE was acting pretty normal to me.

Will have to follow up on some of the info shared. Again, thanks to all.

:thumb

12. Jim Wallace

I didn't get there until a little after noon, and I was wearing a khaki T-shirt (over a long sleeved one) that had a chimpanzee's face on it with the word "REVOLT" written underneath. I thought since that this is indeed the "planet of the apes," that would look pretty normal. I also left my lead-lined helmet with the moose antlers at home, since I figured it might be pretty crowded, and wore a sky-blue baseball cap. I feel that I did a good job of blending in with the crowd.

Jimbo

13. Mike Etgen

Media:
    New River Mike

I must have seen at least a dozen guys fitting that description...so, yes, you sure did blend in with the crowd!

:rofl

14. Jim Wallace

Those others were my clones. I call them the "Dirty Twelve." Their presence lessens my chances of being "disappeared." Too bad they can't vote! That is why we all wear the "Revolt" t-shirt.

Jimbo

"We must be careful about what we pretend to be, for we tend to become exactly what we pretend to be." -written in 6" high letters around the walls of a room in a rooming house in the "U-District" back in the Spring of '69.