Skokomish River

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by james.jimenez, Jul 6, 2013.

1. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Ratings: +244 / 0
    Does anyone ever head out to the Skokomish River to fish anything other than salmon? I mean how's the trout fiahing out there this time of year??
  2. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Head up high and fish the waters below and above Staircase in the Park. It is better later in the summer when snowmelt flows have dropped.

Steve
  3. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Don't get to excited about it you'll most likely find a few small trout, fry and a few smolts like many of our streams not good trout water. I'd head to the other side or east.
  4. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Mark, you are exactly right that one isn't likely to find big trout from the rivers like the Skokomish. But Staircase is an hour's drive max from Olympia; I don't think that any anadromous fish pass that high which obviates the possibility of harassing smolts. If one wants to trout fish in a river, it is about as close as one can find, especially once the little D drops too low (and too warm) to fish ethically. One can head farther south to the Tilton or Cispus and its tribs, but those are farther away (and probably don't have much bigger fish to boot).

Steve
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    James, if you would like a buddy along to go explore the N Fork above Staircase, let me know. I haven't fished up there myself, but have been wanting to check it out.
    I plan to keep it simple and just follow the game plan Doug Rose suggested in his chapter on the N Fork Skok in his Fly Fishing Guide To The Olympic Peninsula.
    Jason Rolfe likes this.
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    The last time I was up above Staircase, I was in the boy scouts. WE were camping up there. I think it was about 65 years ago.
  7. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +965 / 1

I see hobnailed boots, trapper johnson packs and lots of hatchets for youngsters.
  8. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Steve, I wasn't sure exactly where he was thinking about fishing (which fork). I've fished, camped and hiked both forks of the Skok and from Cushman a long way's up and still only found small numbers of small fish. Years ago before they raised the level of the lake I used to catch some nice trout and a few Dollies at the mouth but not anymore. It's still a nice hike up the river from staircase but you need to go a way's up to get away from the people, it's a popular place.

You're right it would be fairly close for him in Olympia, and he should give it a go, but I didn't want him to get his hopes up. It's also a bit early and I think the levels might still be a bit high.

Mark
  9. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    Think big streamers and you might be surprised by a few larger cutts up to 16". They are there just not a ton of them.
  10. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +344 / 0
    I don't know who "trapper johnson" was, but I used a "trapper Nelson" backpack back in the day, although I never made it to boy scouts (our den mother quit - long story).
    My Dad had passed it down to me and the old "trapper nelson" always hauled in a bunch of gear, and occasionally hauled out a bunch of deer or bear meat way back then.
    But I digress. Last time I fished the upper Skokomish around Staircase was maybe 30 years ago - didn't catch a thing. Try it - your luck may be better than mine.
  11. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    It should have been Trapper Nelson.
  12. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    It's ok Zen. It was a misnomer. But wish I had a "nickel" on here for those who can't spell or use the correct word like "to" versus "too"....
  13. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Nelson, Johnson - Nilsson, Schmilson (anyone else remember that one?) - it doesn't really matter..
    dryflylarry likes this.
  14. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +293 / 0
    I wish i had two nickels everytime somebody started a sentence with the word 'But' when its not needed. :D
  15. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    With as much as those homemade backpacks hurt I should have remembered that name. We had those backpacks, sleeping bags that didn't keep us warm and weighed a jillion pounds, leaky rain gear and boots, and mole skin wasn't invented. And.... the trails were uphill both ways. But the fish were easy to catch.

(here's your two nickels)
    Greg Armstrong likes this.
  16. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis

are we related?
  17. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    Oh yeah! Love Harry!

Greg Armstrong and james.jimenez like this.
  18. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Lime in the Coconut... The early '70's were a trip!

dryflylarry likes this.
  19. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Give it a go, if the fish don't bite try the lime and coconut fix and I guarantee you'll "feel better"!
    dryflylarry likes this.
  20. totallycustom Member

Gig Harbor
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Fished the upper south fork above browns creek a few times about fifteen to twenty years ago with little to show but super small cutts and close encounters with big cats.