Skunked at Lone

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Nick Clayton, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,125 / 4
    Headed up to Lone this morning to try out my new tube and proceeded to have my ass handed to me. I fished hard from sun up till about 2pm with 4 strikes to show for it... Two of them busted me off instantly, the other two I never got a good hook up.

I tried bloodworms, chironomids, micro leeches, various nymphs all under an indicator at depths varying from inches off the bottom to inches under the surface. I fished various leeches, streamers, soft hackles etc... on an intermediate line as well. Just couldn't get anything figured out today. No wind, clear skys, cold and beautiful. One other guy showed up mid morning and he didn't fare much better. Saw him land a few trolling around a big white streamer right off the bottom, but he was having similar difficulties as me. No hatches to speak of, no fish showing near the surface.... Just pretty much dead.

All that aside, it was nice to spend some much needed time on the water. My new tube performed well... There are a few upgrades I'd like to make, but I'm not sure how much effort I will put into it as it's pretty much just a stop gap until I go home and back to my pram. I may end up heading back out in the morning, but this time I'll probably try Pass.
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  2. Breck Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Ugh. Going to Lone tomorrow.
    Fished Pass yesterday with similar results to those you described on Lone.
  3. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,125 / 4
    Part of me wants to head back to Lone tomorrow myself. I fished Pass on Friday and did decent, and am confident I could do decent again tomorrow.... But being skunked has left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm tempted to head that way to try to figure it out instead.
  4. Breck Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    If you go to Lone, keep an eye out for my Clackacraft. (Blue & black stripe). I'm taking a friend and his young son, who got his first fishing rod from Santa. I'll have some whisky on board, if you want a nip.;)
  5. Mark Yoshida Active Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +67 / 1
    Nick
    I appreciate your report of getting skunked. I suffered the same on Sunday, using everything I had in my box and every line. I got no tugs. There were at least 6-8 others out there and no sightings of bent rods or hoots from anyone. A negative fishing report can be just as helpful as a great day of fishing. The temp and weather were excellent. Hoping to get out today, but not sure what is being planned by my family. Good luck and post a report if you get a chance.
  6. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +181 / 6
    Don't feel too bad Nick, most everyone will get skunked at Lone if you fish it enough. Some days the fish just don't seem to want to hit anything. At least you got some water time and it didn't rain.
  7. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    Yep fishing is beginning to slow on the island lakes. Getting cold. If you are on Pass you might try throwing big uglies over buy that large rock where people get out now and again to have lunch. There are a few really big logs under there that some good sized browns patrol. One gave me the finger not too long ago.
  8. Elephant fly ...tastes like chicken....

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Been there, done that.

I fish Lone 5-6 times a year and have for years. I generally do pretty well, occassionly spectacular, and love fishing that lake.

That said, I have been skunked twice on that lake. It seems like it can really turn off once and a while....and when it has a day like that, it is really dead.

Thanks for the report. I planned to head up there later in the week. I still might if the weather holds.......it is a beautiful location and you never know what any given day will bring.