skunked in whatcom county

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fisherwoman, Jul 10, 2002.

1. fisherwoman New Member

bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi everyone,

I'm from Idaho and now living in Bellingham. It's seems like a hole different game up here as far as flyfishing goes. I've been to Whatcom Lake, Silver, Baker (rivers are too high) and have gotten skunked every time. I know this is a broad question, but where do people fish around here, what are some good flies, and what am I fishing for. I actually prefer rivers because I don't own a boat or float tube. I also went over to the East side and fished Black Pine Lake, but no luck. I'm still having a great time, but my friends are starting to give me a hard time. Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers!
  2. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Try the Nooksack for trout. Don't listen to any naysayers and just go out and search and fish. Maybe try a dark or silver zonker or a light bunny leach. Maybe a surface spyder. I think there may be some access right around the forks. Or try N Fork Road or the S Fork. If you find a nice side creek, check the regs and give a try for Cutts. The upper Skagit is great but make sure to fish a deep sink tip when the water is high. The upper Skagit has feeder creeks that are open for trout too. The NF Stilly has summer steelhead. Take a drive and fish what looks interesting, you have a ton of good water near you. Think of your time as the learning curve we all go through in western washinton :THUMBSUP Don't forget to check regs and read the special Westside River exceptions.
  3. on the fly New Member

Marysville, WA, USA.
    You acually have a lot of options. your best bet would be to invest in a float tube or pontoon boat. But in the absence of that, you have a great fishery from the beaches for sea run cutthroat trout. There is a great article on the main page before entering this forum. If you've gone to the east side, then you have to go to the Yakima River. I'm sure that you've read some of the postings that others have posted, that will give you some good direction about fishing Washingtons best stream.
    Locally around Bellingham other than wading the shores for sea run cutts, you will need to float the lakes. You can buy a float tube and fins for a reasonable price and it will last a long time. This is the only way that you'll get any good fshing done on the lakes around there. Close to Bellingham is Squalicum lake. It's about 5 to 6 miles northeast of Bellingham. It is a flyfishing only lake and has fished well off and on. You'll probably need to fish a sinking line with a leech or wooly bugger. Make at least a couple of trips there and try different flies and techniques until you find what works for you and where on the lake. mornings and evenings you should see fish rising and that will give you a clue as to where they are hanging out. you might also try Lake Terrell. it is fairly close to Squalicum.
    Next, about 45 min from B'ham is Pass Lake. Float tube again! leeches, wooley buggers, choronomids the most successful.
    I know how you feel, I was born and raised in eastern Idaho and fished the Rockies In Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Utah. When we moved here I almost had to learn to fish all over again. I think you'll find a couple of those lakes around you will help curb your appitite. But if you want the kind of fishing that you are used to, just plan a couple of trips a year to go back to your home waters. I know I do. By the way, where in Idaho are you from?
    Good luck, and have fun!
    Don-on the fly :THUMBSUP
  4. Dan Reynolds Member

Bozeman, Mt
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    There are tons of great fishing opportunities around the puget sound area...the thing to remember is that you need to be able to read the weather conditions, water levels etc and fish the appropriate waters. If the Skykomish is at 15,000 cfs, you fish the lakes. If the rivers are in shape and the fish are running...fish for the salmon or steelhead.

***A must have is Greg Thomas's "Flyfisher's Guide to Washington ". It has valuable information source and easy reading, good humor too.***

I agree with the others...a float tube or pontoon is essential around here. (float tubes are dirt cheap anymore...) :THUMBSUP
  5. fisherwoman New Member

bellingham, WA, USA.
    Thanks to everyone for the great tips. I'll be heading out next week for a couple of days to try some of those spots. Gotta work for now.
    I'm actually from Bloomington, ID. near Bear Lake on the Utah/Idaho border. My grandfather still has a ranch on the Bloomington river. I've pulled some of the most beautiful and good sized Brookies I've ever seen out of there. On the Utah side the Logan river has some big browns up high. The Bear river below the dam near Riverdale was always a favorite spot, you almost can't miss there. And up north, the Salmon and Yankee fork. You know just about anywhere you go over there is flyfishing heaven.
    Cheers!
  6. dreidel73 New Member

.Bellingham, WA
    I would have to agree that you need a float tube or pontoon boat to fish for trout in Whatcom County. Squalicum is a great place to fish with plenty of fish. One thing that I have noticed about it is that it fishes better when it is calm. I have also had better success in the am. I usually use a floating line with a damselfly nymph or a hares ear. The lake is really shallow with plenty of weeds. If you want to fish for trout in a river you must head up to the Skagit River in Canada. It takes about two hours and it is a very beautiful and productive fishery. Unless you start fishing for steelhead a boat or a float tube is a must.
  7. wilbur New Member

Mt. Vernon, WA, USA.
    There was a post back in April on this forum that mentioned fishing Canyon Creek (a tributary to the North Fork of the Nooksack) for Brookies. I guess they are really aggressive on dries this time of year. Go east on Mt. Baker Highway, towards the Ski area and turn left on Canyon Creek Road after the little town of Glacier. Search the archives for more details. I have never been there but it sounds pretty good and is fairly close to you. Good luck.