Skunked on rocky ford creek,WA

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by flytyerboy95, May 21, 2007.

1. flytyerboy95

flytyerboy95 Future fly fishing guide

Media:
    first time out there this last weekend and was there for two nights and a day.it was nice out but windy most of the day but it calmed down at knight the hole time i was there i had a bunch of bites and two hook ups but no landed fish the first hook up was on a olive wooly bugger i was about to land the fish when it snapped my tippet :beathead: it was a hog!!!. the next hook up was later that day up by the handicap dock on the little bridge drifting a scud down from the rapids didnt expext it and the fish ate it and didnt wahnt to let go it was a sweet fish but spat the fly at the last moment :beathead: again fooled by the fish ARG!!!. every body was using scuds it seemed and a couple guys said they caught twenty four fish that day i felt kind of left out bought then again it was my first time fly fishing HAHA!!!. nearing around three on the last day i was there the fish started rising to chronomid emrgers. as that happend a guy from portland shows up has one hour to fish and shows me up by catching three fish in that time:eek:bawling: it kind of sucked but i will mabey be going back this weekend or near the end of june:D

2. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

Media:
    Hang in there, the Ford can mess with your mind!

Jim Jones

3. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    iagree

Don't stress too much about getting skunked there. I've been the guy with three fish in an hour as well as the guy skunked all day! There is definately something crazy about that place.

4. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    try night fishing with streamers, you will catch more. My buddy even caught a fish there on a 2/0 chartruse clouser at night.

5. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

PM me and I'll will tell you a little secret.
    I fish the Ford a lot and I have never been skunked even when I was first learning.
    There have been days when I have only landed one fish.
    There have been days when it was one after another standing in the same spot, change spots and 5 or 6 more.
    I have never fished at nite, but have heard stories of casting black leaches and getting hammered.
    As for getting hammered wait till you get back to camp and "Don't drink and drive"

6. addicted.angler

addicted.angler New Member

Home Page:
    I AM HEADING THERE FOR THE FIRST TIME. MIKE @ PACIFIC FLY HELPED SET ME UP WITH SOME TIPS AND FLIES. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET THERE FROM I-5/I-90 INTERCHANGE? I WANT TO GET THERE AROUND 5am. ANY TIPS OR AREAS TO FISH WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THIS SITE IS AWSOME!!!ptyd

7. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    I have only been there a few times, but like Zen said, night fishing there is a good way to get into some fish. Just find a slower section and cast and strip. The fish really relax at night, my friend even caught one near the shore with his bare hands!

8. flytyerboy95

Media:
    from were i live around seatle it took around three hours. i would recomend to explore its a very amazing stream. dont flip out if you get snubbed its actually kind of cool cause you then know that you still have a lot to learn. i recomend a egg patterns. but every body uses SCUDES soo give that atry. but dont take my advice cause i havent caught any thing there and i missed all the bights on the egg soo there. but i AM going back in june YEEHHAA :) :) :)

9. addicted.angler

addicted.angler New Member

Home Page:
    Well, I woke up late, didn't pay attention to how many miles it was from my house (just looked on a map and thought" oh that's not so far"). I arrived around 11am tossed in some scuds and wooley buggers(white and blk) and had one good hookup for just over a second. I was amazed at the size fish I could see in the water. People were catching some. I even tossed in a non-weighted SRC trout pattern which had the biggest fish I could see in there swim up to it, suck it in and spit it out. I was just in awh at this fish that buy the time I thought about pulling back it was to late. I un-gracefully justified it by thinking "He would've broke my tippet anyways!:rolleyes: I did enjoy my time there and loved the creek. I will be back...I need to master this damn thing and catch fish!!

10. flytyerboy95

Media:
    hahahahahahaha i had them suck it in and spit it out to. i will be going back in the end of june so that i can (hopefully) CATCH FISH. what is a SRC trout pattern?