Skunked on the Sauk

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by deerfield, Feb 10, 2003.

1. deerfield

deerfield New Member

Awakening at dark-thirty, I hit the water at cold o'clock. It was still dark. By the time I got suited up, I couldn't feel my fingertips. Yes, that's right, it was cold enough to test your frosticles.

I began slapping the water. Ice formed in the guides so thick the line stopped moving. I continued slapping. the clicker on my reel froze and broke off. The slapping became thrashing. The sun came out and I fell into a daze so pleasant that I barely noticed the 30-40 fisherman I saw, all fishless as far as I could tell. Someone please tell me you caught fish on the Sauk this weekend?

2. Scott

Scott New Member

skunked...

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I was there yesterday also but I waited until the warm sun came out so I wouldn't freeze my you know what off. There sure were a lot of people out yesterday and nobody catching anything. But it sure was nice out. Almost shirt sleeve time. Left there and went to the Stilly. Like to froze to death. It was cold there and the wind was also blowing.

Jim

4. TomB

TomB Active Member

Ditto- I got skunked to along with my fishing partner. :beathead

5. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Believe it or not there are fish in the Sauk. Didn't see any steelhead, but I did get two beautiful dollies.

6. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    A few dollies and one steelie LDR'd for 4 of us Saturday.

7. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

There are a few dollies spreadout throughout the river and they may or may not be on the feed at any given moment. This is the time of year they are heading for the saltchuck although there are always some in the river. Unfortunately we are about to enter the lull between the hatchey fish and dollies and the humongous wild fish of spring. This is the time of year when you hear the oft repeated sentence, "Call me in June." unless your destination is the Ford.

Randy