Skunks off on pass lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tylerflies, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Tylerflies New Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I fished pass lake all day today. I have fished there before a couple of times and gotten my ass kicked, not even seeing a fish. But not today. I landed two medium sized rainbows in the evening and it feels awsome! The fishing was good by steelhead standards ( I fished all day with nothing but snaggs until 45 min before dark). Nobody said catching big fish was easy.

I hooked the fish I caught on a minnow pattern I cooked up last night, ( thank you gentlemen and gentlewomen who posted such fine advise about white minnows. ) I don't have a camera to post the fly but I will decribe it because I think it is a good match for the minnows on this lake, and I will fish it with confidence now.

Tail= natural mallard flank tip
    body= 1part white angora goat, one part white crytal dub, nice and fuzzy.
    gills=small partridge soft hackle
    underwing= white arctic fox tail
    over wing= three small flat wing hackles tied down laying flat over the body.

First, tie in the mallard tail, not too long. Then dub brush the body making sure that it is nice and fuzzy. leave 1/4 of the shank free. Tie in the small softy, real sparse. Then tie in the arctic fox tail, making sure to pull out the underbody, nice and sparse. Then tie in the hackles. use small ones from the base of the hackle that are only 1 and 1/2 inches long. real short. I used a fancy flat wing hackle, but any saddle will do ok. tie them in so they lay flat over the top of the fly. strip the fuzz off of the feather spline and tie this in, then pull the hackle forward so that some of the sctual hackle is under the thread. this will help it to lie flat. (I hope this makes sense) do this a total of three times. Then tie a large thread head. I didn't put eyes on but they would look really cool on the thread head.

I scooped up some minnows at the boat launch in the morning and studied them. They had white, irridecent flancks and a light gray back, about 1 to 1 and a half inches long. This fly imitates the minnow well, although i am only assuming that the fish I studied was the one the fish nail.

I am thinking that slowly retreiving a sculpin through the mud on the bottom would pick up a lunker brown if done in the right place. I tied some heavy weighted woolheads with the hook point up and tried this but to no avail. I didn't fish it right though but I have a fishy feeling about this technique.... Anybody try this on pass lake with success? I am also thinking that this technique would work with a bunny/mohair leech tied the same way. I'm gonna have to try this some time for the lunkers.

All in all, a beatiful day, fish to the hand, a new kick ass pontoon boat, well behaved dog equals and awsome day!

Have a great hodiday and please go fishing as much as possible this weekend, workaholics.

Tyler
  2. Blake Stiller Member

anacortes, wa
    If you only got two on the white minnow pattern you are doing something wrong. You should have got more like 7-15 if you were there all day. I will give you a hint, but im not gonna give away all my secrets. The key is in the strip. And if i can figure out why my pics wont show up when i post them, i will gladly post a pic of the fly i use out there, because truthfully, im getting tired of seeing guys trolling around at pass lake catching mediocre trout, when they could be actually "fly fishing" and having a blast watching big fish spank their minnow patterns. And this works anytime of day, all day.
  3. Blake Stiller Member

anacortes, wa
    Heres the fly i tie up for pass. Hasnt failed me yet

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  4. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    I like how that fly will fall nose first. I will quite often fish a properly swimming fly over the proper color fly.
  5. Blake Stiller Member

anacortes, wa
    Exactly. When this thing is going through the water is swims like an injured fish. Its irresistable.
  6. Steven Hendrickson Member

bellingham washington
    Also nothing like throwing a dry fly near the banks. When I fished there the first and so far the last time I caught 7 fish in a half of a day. My friend got 2 small guys and his legs were tierd from paddling around all day. He trolled
  7. Tylerflies New Member

Bellingham, WA
    Thanks alot for the tips and the fly pattern. Kinda figured as much since I started hooking up when I quit trolling and began casting. Funny thing. anyways, thanks a bunch.

Tyler
  8. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Nice looking fly, looks like an upside down Gotta
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,699 / 2
    definitely lay off on the trolling. the first time my buddy and i went, we only caught like 2-3 a piece doing that. went out a few days later casting to shore and i landed so many i stopped counting.
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,722 / 0
    I can't believe myself. In all the years that I lived over on the wet side I never ever made it to this lake. I used to have trouble with high places when driving and to get there you have some high bridges to cross. That kept me away. Well that problem seems to have gone away as I can drive over passes without getting the willies anymore..

Well what is/was high to me is probly not high to any of you guys.

Jim
  11. Zane Wyll Member

anacortes, WA.
    come on over Jim I got room in my boat just give me a little notice so I can get the day off at my four letter word.

zane
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt

It's a litle hard for me to get there now. Living in Montana and driving over to fish Pass lake is just a little too far now.:(:(

Jim
  13. Zane Wyll Member

anacortes, WA.
    Jim if you get over for other resons and have a day to waste pm me and we will go . Thats a long drive to fish pass with all the great fishing around you over there. I've been try to talk the wife into the move to MT. for years no no dice.

zane
  14. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Well it's great fishing when the weather is nice. But right now where I live it was + 7 this morning. The skinny water is all iced over from bank to bank. Lakes are not thick enough to walk out on yet but getting close. And it keeps trying to snow. But it is clear right now and the sun is shining and the skies are blue. But here it is nice on minute and it will snow in the next.

But the outlook today it for it to get to +25. I just love this place. Dry cold is alot better than wet cold. Hell, you could freeze and not know it until it was to late.

Jim