Skwala Color Question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thom Collins, Mar 9, 2012.

1. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    That looks a lot like a Claasenia Sabulosa golden stonefly. They are about the same size. If that is a Skwala, then there's no point in attempting a specific imitation. Because your current best Golden bug would be essentially the same.

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

I assume you are referring to the nymph. That is a Skwala, Golden Stones are rarely found in the shallows in February when the picture was taken. Typically, stoneflies crawl ashore when they near the time for molting into their adult forms and turning over a few rocks in the shallows alongshore will reveal large numbers of whatever species happens to be emerging at the time. This is also the time when they are most vulnerable to the fish; stonefly nymphs are not capable of swimming very well and crawling over and around the rocks to the shore exposes them to currents which are liable to wash them into the current. When floating free, the nymph curves its body and goes with the flow, hoping to find a rock to catch hold of. That is why I tie my version of Pat's Rubberlegs on a deeply curved hook (what we used to call an English-style bait hook) to to represent the curved body of the drifting nymph.

Ralph Cutter notes, in his DVD, Bugs of the Underworld, that free-floating stonefly nymphs don't bump along the bottom, but rise and fall with the flow of the current. I weight my stonefly nymph lightly (with strips of lead foil from wine bottle seals, which adds a small amount of weight and almost no bulk) near the bend of the hook and fish them Joe Brooks-style.

Yesterday on the Yakima was almost a repeat of the trip I made a couple of weeks ago. In spite of the forecast, winds were brutal all day with occasional gusts actually ripping spume of the surface of the water. Through most of the day it was damned near impossible to row and control the raft, let alone cast, We rose a couple of fish during the day but it wasn't until near the end of the float when we were actually able to hook and land a few. Between us we only landed four fish, three rainbows and one cutthroat; the biggest was a rainbow just shy of eighteen inches, all taken on dry Skwalas.

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

As promised, here are some step-by-step pictures of tying my Slackwater Black dry Skwala pattern.

Attached Files:

4. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I was in the Cle Elum fly shop the other day and the guide I talked to mentioned that he prefers his Skwala dries darker, thinner and smaller then most of the commercial patterns. Just something to consider when constructing you imitation.

5. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

Got back from a 3 day trip on the Yakima lastnight. The female skwalas looked to be a #8 3X long, maybe a #10. They were as close to black as to being a super dark olive and had plenty of yellow along their undersides. They were thinner than the paterns I've seen in shops. From what I saw and just going by proportions my avitar would have been a male, add about half again as much abdomin for a female.

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

I'd say your avatar is a female. Males typically have wings shorter than the abdomen while the wings of the female are longer than the abdomen and half the length of the tails.

7. Preston

Preston Active Member

Here, again, are pictures of female and male.

Attached Files:

8. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

You know your bugs. I'm just getting into this side of fly fishing. My statement did not take wing length into account, mearly body width to length ratio. Maybe I should have said if the bug in my avitar was 3/4 as wide it would resemble what I saw this week. So much to learn, but it's fun.